Cosmic Rainbows

marboman

That seems like a good ball park guess. There might be more specific info to be gleaned from the header, perhaps from subtle details. Another case where I have so much information that I think I might be able to put my hands on a specific answer but I'd have to be in the zone to sort it out.

But short answer is with that age warning, yeah, 30 years sounds about right.

I know someone to ask ... might do that ... sometime.

The header reads made in USA Parkersburg West Virginia.Did Vitro make two types of horseshoe cat's?I have some that look like cage style marbles but from the side veiw the veins look like a u.I gotta go to work now but I will try to get some pics up tonite,unless somoene else has some they would like to share.I have recently aquired a group of unusual Cats'eye and would like to discuss them, many have aventurine.Great day All.Bo

I didn't realize that the Costmic Rainbos were quite that old. I got a brand new package in the store in 1993 (ish). Of course they are older than that date, the store was going out of business and not sure how long they had been on the shelves, but that many years seems quite awhile....I am now curious. Get to diggin' Steph and see what you can find!

Do you still have the bag,where was it made,very few of the Anacortes bags/marbles were made.They moved from Parkersburg in 1987

Yes, I still have the bag. I am away from the house for a couple weeks though. :(

Very cool find indeed! Those at the bottom with the aventurine in them blows my mind! Makes me wonder what else they were rolling out at the time to get that inside there... hmm Very cool! I will definately be looking closer at cat's from now on. Where horse-shoe cat's made by many different companies or just one? I am wondering as I have a few handfulls of them in all sorts of different baseglass and color ribbon combos. Just curious, and thanks in advance! God Bless

Hi Gary,can you put some pics of those horseshoes on.Any cat-eyes in colored glass are more disirable.If you are looking at your cats get "marbles the guide to cats-eye marbles"Marlow Peterson and Larry Castle,it's a small but informative book.Gary it is always good to check out your marbles,you will find something good everytime.

I don't know how many companies have made horshoe cats,I believe these are made by Vitro

I believe that the bag in the original post is about 10 years younger than the 30 years assumed.

These labels were used by Paris Manufacturing in the mid 1980's, after they used up the ones

with the Gladding name. Like these ones....

When Viking Rope bought Vitro, they also used old headers, but no doubt dropped the Paris name.

That didn't happen till around 1988 or 1989, so the bag is probably 20 years old

post-37-1240680316_thumb.jpg

"about 20 years" was my first vague thought but then I remembered what year this is, and realized that would put cosmic rainbos in Anacortes. And I don't remember ever hearing that connection before.

Thanks plan b and Steve.Wow what a day looked at alot of cats today but didn't find a single horshoe cat.Here are a couple of cats I think are fat bananas from Marlow Peterson and Larry Castles' cat-eye book pg.26"Another strange core was the fat banana.These marbles didnt seem to be made by Peltier.The core filled the marble and was a hybrid of two colors."

Most of the fat bananas had a flat bubble in the middle.Both the hybrid colors and the bubble seemed to be deliberate.These two have hybrid color and aventurine.

post-1768-1240719244_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1240719279_thumb.jpg

"about 20 years" was my first vague thought but then I remembered what year this is, and realized that would put cosmic rainbos in Anacortes. And I don't remember ever hearing that connection before.

They moved Vitro to Anacortes in July 1989, so it could still work.

They moved Vitro to Anacortes in July 1989, so it could still work.

So you are saying the Cosmic Rainbows could have been made in Anacortes but they where using up the Parkersburg headers.That would make the Cosmic Rainbows around 20 years old rather than 30 years old.So they would have been a later version of the horshoe cat,the cage style came first in Parkersburg. I should get some better close up pics of them later today if the sun will co-operate.Thanks PlanB