Antique Marbles From Tennessee?

LOL ... I thought about that!

But then I got sidetracked by this ....

(click to enlarge)

1898_national_enquirer-1.jpg

Seriously, wouldn't it be cool if we discovered that site and it isn't under some skyscraper or parking lot, maybe just in a city park if you're lucky!

tho' I guess the first question would be whether J.H.L. actually followed through with his plans.

yup. until we do, here's a pretty picture to keep the imagination firing. Carole, do you recognize any of the landscape?

Hmmmm ... looks like this became the site of "Centennial Park"

(click to enlarge)

03354v-1.jpg

(click for more modern view)

th_2009_CentennialParkD.jpg

well, I've looked a bit and haven't found any confirmation yet that Leighton made it to Nashville. Giving up the search for the mo'.

I have been unable to verify this as well- I know he was quite busy in 1897 setting up the Navarre plant - you would think there would be existing literature from the Exposition somewhere. There may have been another glass maker doing demonstrations which Leighton could have easily jumped in with. It only requires a few pots of glass in a furnace to make hand gathered marbles. The rest is all done with portable hand tools.

Thanks Brian. That's pretty much how I figured it ... that he might have done it fairly easily, but perhaps not with everything else he had going on.

Funny thing, I ran across yet another Tennessee marble reference today.

If one newspaper column is to be believed, in 1955 there were some in government who thought that American marbles at that time came from Tennessee and only Tennessee.