Cloud Vs End-Of-Day Onionskins

m!b$

BTW, the second marble has been reheated. There is a reconstructed pontil on the underside. The first marble has only one pontil, and I'm pretty sure it is called a Cloud. It also has mica.

If not EOD, then what are the Onionskins called that have two pontils and stretched, noncontinuous lines of color from pole to pole, like the second marble has?

Andrea,

The use of the term cloud changed in some circles. When I started collecting it was used to describe a single pontil marble. Then with the advent of online auctions and a couple of ID books the term cloud took on a different meaning basically an onionskin with minimal stretching of the outer layer of color with any number of pontils. Bill

I have to agree with what Bill said.The terms have changed a little over time.

I used the cloud term for end of cane type onion skin,that the color,does not go to the pole.Not just missing color,near the pole,but actualy folded over to create what I want to call a "balloon" shape of the color,inside the marble.

End of day would refer to a speckled or blotchy type of onion,were the colors are not,stretched,from pontil to pontil.

The marble on the left,I would call an end of day,4 panel onionskin.

The one on the right,I would call an end of day,unpaneled onionskin.

There are many differant types of onion skin,"terms".

End of day

End of cane

Paneled

Unpaneled

Submarine

Cloud

Lobed

Left hand twist

Aventurine

Lutz

Mica

Its just a matter of giving it the name,and or combination of names that describes the marble.Use logic,like a check list.

GRIFF

Andrea, I'd go with Bill as being a better "go to" than I... He's been keeping up!!! LOL

The use of the term cloud changed in some circles. When I started collecting it was used to describe a single pontil marble. Then with the advent of online auctions and a couple of ID books the term cloud took on a different meaning basically an onionskin with minimal stretching of the outer layer of color with any number of pontils. Bill

When I first became familiar with these names, both Cloud and End of Day meant essentially the same thing... If there was a difference, it would have been as Griff says...

I used the cloud term for end of cane type onion skin,that the color,does not go to the pole.Not just missing color,near the pole,but actualy folded over to create what I want to call a "balloon" shape of the color,inside the marble.

End of day would refer to a speckled or blotchy type of onion,were the colors are not,stretched,from pontil to pontil.

Both were ALWAYS single pontil marbles...

I believe it was Bob Block who first changed the marble collecting meaning of "End of Day."

For years, there has been a type of glass that was traditionally called "End of Day." It looks very much like most onionskins....

The term comes from the concept that at the end of the work day, glass workers "cleaned up" bits of colored glass from the work area, by rolling a rod with hot glass on it over them. Then, that concoction of glass was fashioned into an item...

This may have been the origin of the name in general glass terms. But, it has stuck to that style of glassware, even though it is now produced intentionally with that design.

OTOH, marble collectors coined the phrase because... due to rarity.... it was thought these actually WERE a product of the end of day clean-up. Given that they would be a hand gather, rather than a cane type marble, they would have to be a single pontil...

So, the term in marbles became mixed between the traditional general glass term, which would also cover most 2 pontil cane type onionskins (like shown above) and the original style of a blotchy, speckled, single pontil type marble, thought to have been created in the literal term.