Pelt Pieces

carole154

Felicia, I'm not sure I understand your question.

I was just about to come and write a note thanking Carole (thanks Carole, those are real gems!) and making an explanation for newbies who might be reading this and maybe don't know about the issues about how deep colors go in NLR's.

Over the course of many years, Peltier made many marbles called "Rainbos". The style changed over the years. In the early days, their boxes said National Line on them, and so we call their earliest Rainbos "National Line Rainbos".

Here's a box Galen likes to show. It says National Rainbo Line, not National Line Rainbo! .. but we call them NLR's. I think National Line was sort of the brand, and Rainbo was the style name.

post-279-1188761715_thumb.jpg

There's a picture here, Some More Rainbos, No. 6 Pelt NLR Stock Box, with a great view of the contents of the box. This box gives Rainbo as the style name and doesn't say "National Line" on the view showing, but it still says "National". Specifically, "National Toy Marbles".

So, those are the older style rainbos, the NLR's. On the archived copy of Marble Alan's Peltier Glass Company page, he says that the NLR's were made from about the late 1920's to the late 1930's.

And then Peltier's later rainbos, which we just call plain Rainbos, appear to have been made from about the late thirties, through the 1940's. [Edit: they were made longer than the 40's. At least into the 60's. Maybe longer than that.]

post-279-1188765073_thumb.jpg

There has been a sort of rule of thumb in circulation that the ribbons on the older National Line Rainbos stay mostly on the surface, and the ribbons on the newer, plain "Rainbos" run deeper.

But Carole is showing National Line Rainbo halves. And you can see that the ribbons in those run all the way to the middle. The ribbons in the first picture are what you see on the outside surface of the marble.

post-104-1188739528_thumb.jpg

The second picture is the middle of the marble. The ribbons in the second picture are the same ribbons that you see on the surface. They're thinner, but running so deep that you can still see them in the middle.

post-104-1188739284_thumb.jpg

So ... we see that things aren't as cut and dried with NLR's as the old rule of thumb says. :-)

• Wow 1

That line would be one of the seams of the marble. (Well, the only seam of this marble, since it's only half there!)

It wouldn't hurt to consider one of the seams of a two-seam marble as the "top", and the other as the "bottom".

It's relative, I'm sure! (lol) Some people might consider the seams as being on the side. But for me, the two seams are definitely the first and second things I look at. So, "top" and "bottom" would work for me. smile.gif

So, to recap, the vertical line in Carole's first marble "where the red meets the yellow" is the seam.

The three red bands and the yellow band are called ribbons.

Carole's marble has six ribbons. We can see those four in the first picture.

In the 2nd picture, we can see signs of all six, four red and two yellow.

And we can see that they extend all the way from the part we see running along on the surface, to the very middle of the marble.

Steph invited me to post some pics of pelt pieces. These pics help answer the question of how deep the colors go in the marble. Here's a few to start. ....

Does that mean you have more? :-)

Edit: yes, she has more! (Aren't those kewl!)

• 2 years later...

Yes, Carole's pelt pieces are fantastic. I've been thinking about writing to her to tell her that people continue to mention them on the boards. They've been a great teaching tool.

Your aqua based one looks like a Pelt.

The red one I can't tell. The one with the white, blue, green and yellow patches is a Vitro Tiger Eye. The green and white looks like a Japanese brushed patch, the kind we call "Wales" marbles.

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe substitute Beginning and End for Top and Bottom. Just a thought. David

haha. That almost makes sense since one end of the marble did get spurted out first. lol. But no way do I want to start dwelling on that.

As I noted when I wrote "top" and "bottom", it's relative. If orienting the marble helps the person study it, then that is great. It helps me. But you don't have to orient it the same way I do. If you do it differently, I will still respect you in the morning.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

. . . It wouldn't hurt to consider one of the seams of a two-seam marble as the "top", and the other as the "bottom".

It's relative, I'm sure! (lol) Some people might consider the seams as being on the side. . . .

I personally think of them as being on the "front" and "back" of the marble . . . but only when no one is looking. :character-smileys-238: