Czech Bullet Mold Guineas

LouisCamp

The fun of the search !! For years I had only 2 of these. Then a couple of years ago I got 2 more. I was stuck on 4 examples for a long time . Then this year a dealer gave me a real deal on the other eight. Talk about unique marbles........... each one has personality. Incidentally, all measure about 3/4 diameter.

Very, very cool ! Is the one in lower left corner a black based one and the one toward the lower right a dark brown based ?

I think this brings the total number pictured in this thread to 34. I THINK this number represents most of the total in collections. I may be all wrong, though. Thanks for sharing.

Here are some Czech-made beads that are made in the bullet mold style:

tradebeads8pc.jpg

These were used as trade beads in Africa in a very specific location/tribe. I used to know all the history of African trade beads, but now I can't even remember the time frame these were made in. These teardrop shaped beads were used in a wedding ritual for a specific tribe. I have it all written down somewhere, if I could only remember where!

Elizabeth

Ken

Thanks. Yes it is black based. The other one is an opaque muddy purple. I've had a couple of transparent based ones but just don't care for them so I tend to go after the opaques. Here is a pic of the red bead along with a short necklace that has lutzy/ aventurine running throughout. The beads range from 16mm down to 5mm.

Gary

neck-copy.jpg

Hey John, those look like they're from the series of auctions run on ebay a short while ago... The seller ran a few auctions a couple of weeks apart?? ( ;) , I won't tell.....) I kept watching for one to slip through the cracks, but it never happened... :(

Come to think of it..... I have 2 really BIG beads that I bought at a marble show a long time ago... I've gotta see if I can find them. They might be related to these... I think they had that matte-ish finish...

Gary, great pictures. I have never seen another 1 1/8" mib that looked like my group of 9. That means there is hope that the special box I had made for them with one extra hole left in it to make it a 10 count box may actually be filled some day! YEAH!

Here is a necklace I had at one time. Sold it a few years ago in Amana.

marble_looking_glass_necklace_002_use.jpg

marble_looking_glass_necklace_all_use.jpg

John, are the style of those marbles you show newer? I thought it had come up before that this style where it looks like two halves are put together with the milky base were not real old? Not sure, just asking.

Craig

Craig ~~ Wild mibs!!!!!!!! :blink:

I think I read the same thing about these being newer than yours. Just looking at them it appears that they are. I only know what I've read here on the boards as I don't collect these. I saw the pic in an auction catalogue and thought it would be a worhtwhile addition to this thread as it was showing an additional style of "bullet molds".

Can't have too much information.

John

I was told that the Czechs made them during the 1920's and 30's. They then hid the machines during the war, then began making mibs again from 1946 until 1950. I don't know if that is true but it is a good story. I do know that during the early 1900's the Czechs were very innovative with glass and they produced a lot of it which was exported around the world but mostly to the good old USA. AGAIN<THESE MIBS ARE UNIQUE !!!

I want to say that the 1920's - 30's were when the Czech beads were used in the African trade. I almost said that in my earlier post, but didn't want to rely solely on my memory. Since Ken shared info on the same time period, I feel more confident with my memory!

Elizabeth

P.S. Just found this to verify the 1920's as the time period these bullet mold beads were made. Also info on Czech glassmaking on this site: Czech Glass