Most Interesting Handmade

Steph

What would you call the most "interesting" handmade?

I leave it to you to define interesting. Or you could substitute any other word, such as "favorite", "valuable", "rare", .... whatever.

yeah, yeah, I'm hoping for some eye candy LOL, but also it's fun to hear people talk about handmades. I just learned yesterday how to count panels. Or I think I did. I have a long way to go!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a simple "INTEREST" in the Old Hand-Mades.

I look and do look for the type that would have

been made by a Left Handed Marble Maker.

They would have simply been working from the

OTHER side of the Glory Hole. The pattern would

turn/spin Counter-Clock-Wise.

Am curious if anyone has one...I don't.

A side by side pic of a Lefty and a Righty

would be of interest to me.

RAR

Guest browse4antiques

The least interesting type of handmade is generally thought to be the coreless swirl. So here is a most interesting example of the least interesting type (some might categorize it as joseph coat) (1"). ... Roger

post-112-1206196555_thumb.jpg

Dan: I agree. It IS interesting. what is it? :-)

Rick: neat thought!

Roger: LOL @ most interesting least interesting. why wouldn't anyone call it a Joseph's coat? Looks like it has tons of color. Is there some other criterion which it might miss out on?

JVV: . . drool.gif

Felicia: you got that right!

I need to take more pictures..... These are what I have on file.........

post-3-1206301461_thumb.jpg

4 lobes in a glass of water...

post-3-1206301416_thumb.jpg

Scott, I remember you wanted additional pics of this... 'Haven't done it... But, I haven't forgotten, either!!! I'll try to get to it.....

post-3-1206301444_thumb.jpg

This is a contemporary by Dudley Giberson... Not antique, but certainly a marble that even a vintage collector has to love!!!

post-3-1206301483_thumb.jpg

This is a tough one. I had to stop and think... do you mean old or contemp?

anyway it was STILL tough... hre's a few of our fav handmades, the black core on the top gets a little lost on a black background, but you get the picture right? lol

now if you want contemps.... i'll have to ponder that one next!

FAVHMS.jpg

Dan: I agree. It IS interesting. what is it? :-)

Although I've had it about 15 years, I do believe it's a newer marble. Don't know who or where though, maybe European(?)

Here's an old one. 1". Transparent amber base and inside it has stands of opaque white and strands of lutz. Hard to get a good pic, hope you can see some of the lutz.

caramellutz1.jpg

thanks.

The least interesting type of handmade is generally thought to be the coreless swirl.

I would have do disagree with you there. The handmade clearies and opaques have to be least interesting. Anyone got any pictures of interesting examples of these?

Here's the closest thing I've got: a green clearie with a pair of helix bubbles in the middle.

post-240-1206474336_thumb.jpg

I found these interesting enough to bid upon them. These could qualify as "clambroth" glass iiuc, but not fancy enough to merit any such special name of course. just marbles. or murmeln.

post-279-1206475166_thumb.jpg post-279-1206475173_thumb.jpg

p.s., Joe showed a cool almost clearie here ... "clearie" is totally not the right word. But it is very simple. I like it a lot.

Did you say eye candy? Well....here is a self portrait with my hand made dumb bells. LOL!!

absx1.jpg

here is a Joseph's coat....about 1"

big-j-coat-yellow.jpg

But this is probably my fav. Spots of bright color stretched on a solid white core. Just under 1" and minty mint! I call it a clown onion skin. I think that is correct.

clown-onion.jpg

I bid on them. Didn't win. :( So I only have pix.

Looking at how the camera caught the color of the seller's hand, and the white part of the bag, and the whitest marble showing in the lot, I imagine that the golden shades are fairly close to true. At least what is showing on my monitor.

post-279-1206488804_thumb.jpgpost-279-1206488798_thumb.jpg

I saw a handmade at a show once, really wish I had a picture. It was a large clear base handmade with two air bubbles inside. One bubble was in the shape of an hourglass almost filling the marble end to end. The other bubble formed a doughnut around the wasp-waist of the hourglass without touching it. I seem to remember a light pink and a light blue involved in the design too, but it was a long time ago. It looked like a glassblower masterwork.

Could this be what you mean?? This is a bowl grouping by Mark Matthews... The blue marble is his "Jetson" design... I believe they've been made in crystal (clear) pink, blue and vaseline...

Jetson - View 1 View 2

This group has both the Jetson and the "Super Jetson..."

Carribean Holiday...

If I had an extra 10 grand laying around, I'd probably buy that group!!! :wub: