Pelt Rainbos

Steph

The "common" marbles are always underfoot, until you need to see examples. lol

Here's a thread for gathering together rainbo resources. As usual contributions are welcome.

Other thread(s) dedicated to rainbos:

Discussion(s) of marbles which are sometimes called Rainbos, and sometimes thought to be from the National Line Rainbo era, or maybe hovering at the crossover from NLR to Rainbo:

See also, the rainbo section at Peltiermarbles.com: Peltier Rainbos

And the Peltier section at ..... to be announced soon wink.gif

Pictures expected to come soon, maybe mostly from auctions

A "Champion Jr." bag from one of Marblealan's auctions to get started. Remember that the "Champion Jr." name was used for other marbles than Pelt Rainbos. Specifically, banana cat's eyes have been found in Champ Jr. bags. Pelt Rainbos were also found in marbles which said "Champion" without the "Jr."

(click to enlarge)

ChampionJr001A_marblealan-1.jpg ChampionJr001B_marblealan-1.jpg

However, there are some who like to call some rainbos Champion Jrs. I think sometimes it's rainbos with a practically opaque base and two different color ribbons. Don't quote that. Just a general feeling I have, which I should confirm or revise at some point. There is one color combo for which the Champion Jr. name stuck particularly tight. I still call those Champ. Jrs. because I think the marble is cool and deserves a name. It's just my opinion though. :-)

This is the one which most often gets the name Champ Jr., described in American Machine-Made Marbles as having "a dark transparent base with white and yellow ribbons." This photo came from the Land of Marbles:

ChampJrs_Pete.jpg

Other named rainbos:

7-up: "dark transparent green base with white and red ribbons" (AMMM)

[space reserved for photo]

Clown: "dark transparent base with red and yellow ribbson" (AMMM)

[space reserved for photo]

Muddies:

What Kind Of Peltiers Are These?

When I include quotations from AMMM, I only mean those as a starting point. These are purely collector's names and interpretations vary.

Two Peltier names which collectors use somewhat differently from how Peltier did are Sunset and Bloodie.

The name Sunset was used at least in 1931 (?) (need to doublecheck). It has been found on a box containing what I am inclined to call "Tweeners" -- those marbles which seem to come after classic NLRs but earlier than the more common rainbos. But the collector name is applied to rainbos with

[reserved for photo]

Bloodie is used approximately the same by collectors as it was by Peltier, but I believe that collectors tend to be more strict than Peltier was. Collectors tend to prefer to use the name for marbles with a distinctly translucent base. Peltier seems to have used it for a wider range of bases. The important feature to Peltier seems to have been the red ribbons, and I guess their contrast with a basically white base.

(click to enlarge)

PeltBloodies-2.jpg

Note: books can have errors.

It is said by some that Acme Realers were a type of rainbo. There was apparently a Realer box found containing Rainbos with translucent bases. I do not konw whether Peltier ever purposely sold Realer boxes with rainbos -- perhaps they did -- but at least in the beginning Realers were a type of patch. An NLR-era or tweener-era marble, yes with a translucent base, but not rainbo ribbons.

Here's an oddball.

Side.jpg

Took me forever to realize it's what some might call a 7-up. blink.gif It's the mib at the top left of this pic.

A.jpg

I thought it was a Marble King until one day the light hit it just right. lol

GreenIfYouWantItToBe.jpg

More Rainbos:

Marble King sold boxes like these in the 50's, though maybe with Alley swirls in them. My guess is that Peltier sold them in the 50's and maybe into the 60's.

(The Marble King version looked nearly identical but it said Berry Pink Industries. I've never seen one except in an ad. Just think it's cool trivia, lol, so there ya have it! wink.gif)

BigValue_Gimbels-1.jpg

With the lid:(click to enlarge)

BigValue_Gimbels-3.jpg

Two quick questions from a rookie: Did Kokomo make bloodies? or something similair enough to make it hard to distinguish between a pelt bloodie and a kokomo? And.... A pelt 7-up with the transparent green is cool, but what do you call the same looking mib only with transparent red base instead of transparent green? Cherry 7-up? Just curious as I found some mibs that look like bloodies in my new box, and I have 7-ups with green and red bases. Any idea's?? Thanks in advance and God Bless!

hello. :-)

Well, with red bases, I don't suppose they have a name, but that sounds less common than with the green base. That would be cool to see.

Not sure if I'm remembering this right on a sleepy saturday morning, but isn't a red base on the hard-to-find list?

Hmmm, I guess you might call some of these bloodie-like .... Kokomo Examples. However, if it's hard to distinguish then tie goes to pelt. The man I trust most to identify Kokos is not inclined to call a loose marble a koko even when he holds it in hand. I can't answer about kokos from personal knowledge. I just have to go with his info and with the odds which are soooooooooooooo low for koko. Peltier made Bloodies, or Bloodie-like marbles for something like 25 years. Red was long known to be a winner with the boys. They made rainbos on multiple machines. Kokomo made rainbo-like marbles for a few years, on a single machine, and so the bloodie-like mibs would have been a small portion of already a small number of marbles. And most never left the area, it is thought.

But if it weren't for those odds people wouldn't be so fascinated by them, huh? :-)

ok, so here's where I think your right maybe, partly anyway and I was off. lol When I first looked this mib over it really looked like a red base. And, side by side with the other 7ups I have, it's definately not green like they are, but... After I got your pm tonight I went back and got my flashlight out and lit this mib up again. I think I was looking at the red that is underneath the surface making it look red. Here's the wierd thing though, it doesn't look green, it's more of a light amber or light brownish clear base, I think. Definately not the green like the others. Could it look off just because more red swam under the surface on this one and it's making the base color look different? Or did they make others like the 7ups with different bases? And, if they did, what color bases did they use for this pattern? I guess you weren't being a turd afterall! lol Sorry dear! God Bless!

post-1945-1244519224_thumb.jpgpost-1945-1244519211_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of both types, I think they are different. Maybe if they are side by side it will be easier to tell. Maybe the redish amber one isn't the same type of mib?? Man, now my head hurts! lol God Bless!

ok, so here's where I think your right maybe, partly anyway and I was off. lol When I first looked this mib over it really looked like a red base. And, side by side with the other 7ups I have, it's definately not green like they are, but... After I got your pm tonight I went back and got my flashlight out and lit this mib up again. I think I was looking at the red that is underneath the surface making it look red. Here's the wierd thing though, it doesn't look green, it's more of a light amber or light brownish clear base, I think. Definately not the green like the others. Could it look off just because more red swam under the surface on this one and it's making the base color look different? Or did they make others like the 7ups with different bases? And, if they did, what color bases did they use for this pattern? I guess you weren't being a turd afterall! lol Sorry dear! God Bless!

tongue.gif

For anyone who might be reading this and wondering ... Gary didn't call me a trrd. I called myself one, in PM, for questioning whether it was red. lol

Gary, amber does seem like more of a possibility than red, and a strong possibility at that.

The most purely green bases are relatively uncommon, at least in my experience. I've only had a few which made me go, "now that's what I'm talking about" -- and I sold most of them *snicka fricka fracka grumble* -- I miss them! A little amber mixed in or a lot, that's more common. I think.

Red I still think would be very hard to find. And I can't recall ever seeing one with that ribbon combo.

I imagine backlighting is the best way to be sure, but even then you have to be careful with pelts. Light reflecting off the ribbons or passing through can play tricks with the colors. And bases with more than one color are also a possibility with pelts. I think.

These were my four best 7-ups. I wanted to sell 3 and keep 1, but this was the best pic I got and it had all 4, so I went ahead and sold all 4 -- just 'coz I couldn't use my camera well! *doh*

They were so sparkly green, no photo I took was going to do them justice, but I still like this one a lot. :-) This pic was taken with bright sunlight streaming through the window. The actual green of the glass was deeper yet brighter than this. In other words, it was flat out green. oh so nice.

post-279-1184987411.jpg

• 6 months later...

Bumping with a Ketchup & Mustard posted recently by Jeeperman at LOM. I believe it to be an NLR, but it seems to be approaching the boundary line between NLR's and Rainbos.

Jeeperman_KandM.jpg

It would mingle well with this boundary-pushing group of Tracers and Bloodies which Joeager found at auction:

post-1658-1207433456.jpg

Here are some more tracers, I think from one of Lloyd's auctions. Still near the boundary I think. But I'm fairly sure these would be considered Rainbos by most.

1marac1.jpg

I'm putting a mental bookmark on these pix for when the subject of "tweeners" comes up. These mibs are dancing around that line so nicely.