1930 Akro Boxes

Steph

What do you think the top of this box looked like? Too narrow for a Ringer marble set box, huh? But it does look like a paper box, right? The picture doesn't match the specs of the description below it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to change the subject so abruptly from Ringers. I looked this ad up hoping that it would turn out to be a Ringer box traveling incognito. I didn't do a good enough dimension check before I started posting.

Edit: looking in American Machine-Made Marbles, I guess it might be a stained glass box. yeah .... that looks like the right size for the stained glass examples .... probably no mystery. Unless someone would like to talk about the box in the written description.

1930_Akro_BaerCatalog.jpg

p.s. it is my ad now! *happy dance* George Sourlis sent me the scan a little while back but then this last week he surprised me with the replica 1930/1931 Baer catalog from which he scanned it. (Thanks so much, George!)

• 1 month later...

What do you think the top of this box looked like? Too narrow for a Ringer marble set box, huh? But it does look like a paper box, right? The picture doesn't match the specs of the description below it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to change the subject so abruptly from Ringers. I looked this ad up hoping that it would turn out to be a Ringer box traveling incognito. I didn't do a good enough dimension check before I started posting.

Edit: looking in AMMM, I guess it might be a stained glass box. yeah .... that looks like the right size for the stained glass examples .... probably no mystery. Unless someone would like to talk about the box in the written description.

1930_Akro_BaerCatalog.jpg

p.s. it is my ad now! *happy dance* George Sourlis sent me the scan a little while back but then this last week he surprised me with the replica 1930/1931 Baer catalog from which he scanned it. (Thanks so much, George!)

I measured the aspect ratio of this box on my monitor. It's 5 to 2.5 or 2 to 1. It has the same aspect ratio as the 1930 No. 150 stained glass box on P. 10 of Hardy's first book showing the Williams Hardware Store catalog picture. This No. 150 box has a stained glass cover as in AMMM. I have 2 pics of 150 boxes with covers like the one on the Akro N0. 200 box p. 31 (stained glass cover). The large Popeye box having 36 popeyes also has an aspect ratio of 2 to 1. It's about 8" by 4". But I think this is a No. 150 box with a stained glass design on the cover.

• 11 years later...

Thanks to all that contributed to this post.

I am surprised at the lack of inquiry about the 4 ½ x4 ½ box mentioned in the advertisement. “Fancy varnished box”, “fabricoid bag”---unreal!

This is the first for me to see a “rubberized cloth” bag referred to as such—fabricoid—what a cool term.

Who has ever seen a fancy varnished box designed to hold marbles from the 30’s.

The post is concentrated on the image and not the printed terms.

Akro tin boxes were filled with a large variety of marbles, pouches, knee pads and instructions as ordered by the buyer, many were ordered as “giveaways” with advertising on the pouches.

The box in the image is what it is but what about the terminology. Old ads like this, especially ones dealing with jobbers are not always accurate in the imaging but the terminology takes time to prepare and edit. I trust the letters typed or placed over the images in this case.

Marble-on!!