"the" Vitro Thread ! ( Part Deux ;-)

feelnmarbleous

The entire box is trilites. They are not all buttermilks. I think that 5 or 6 might be buttermilks. Hoping somebody can tell me. Some of them have a red ribbon and a blue ribbon and the buttermilk color on one end. But I've heard that they have to have 2 red ribbons and 1 blue. My big one has a red ribbon and another ribbon that is red and blue run together.

There is another box of similar trilites in my old vitro thread. I've collected another box since that thread was posted. Edna

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well maybe we won't have to wait on Ron, if you dig hard enough on these marbles forums you'll usually find what you are looking for :)

Ron Says:

The Vitro Buttermilk was a name that a few Vienna Vitro employees used for these marbles. The smaller sizes are usually a patch and ribbon style and the larger sizes 3/4,7/8,1 inch, like several large Vitros,tend to swirl more. The buttermilk color is a light translucent yellow. These sometimes get confused with the Vitro Superiors,which have red and yellow,but the yellow is much darker. The Superior is the one that Diane Brandstetter named.

Looks like this is a good example after all with lots'O'butter :cool-smileys-262:

VitroButtermilk1.jpgVitroButtermilk2.jpg

VitroButtermilk3.jpgVitroButtermilk.jpg

None of my 5/8th inch have two red ribbons, just one. So even though some of them have the buttermilk color, others of those have yellow or green, I don't think any of mine are buttermilks, but I was hoping. Edna

Heres what Lizzy posted in that thread Edna, not sure about the green and Aqua milks but this is what she posted.

Here's a definition of a Vitro Buttermilk that might make it easier to understand. It should have a red band on one side with a parallel red/blue band (or sometimes black...especially in the shooter sizes) on the opposite side. The ribbons can get pretty wild sometimes. The base will be a translucent "buttermilk" yellow base. Sometimes there is a good bit of white mixed in the base. They are what Randy G. has said that some Vitro connoisseurs call "Weakmilks". He says that there are also "Greenmilks", "Bluemilks" and "Aquamilks".

Very pretty mib there, but are you sure it's Vitro ? to me it certainly has the colors like one, but those seams look very much like a Akro or Master, with the long straight on one side and the Deep V on the other, that's usually a Master trait. But at that size ???

Regardless very cool marble B)

I agree that some of the most difficult to find Vitro are the larger buttermilk and larger aquamarine. The buttermilk name came from a former Vitro employee at the Vienna location. There is several very knowledagble Vitro people,some are Chuck and Diane Brandstetter from Indy. If you have a interest in any Vitros. DO NOT miss any opportunity to talk to Chuck or Diane at several of the shows. The same goes for Howard and Julia Powell,plus others.

Kevin,yours is a nice buttermilk. With the smaller sizes you will find more definate patch and ribbon style and the colors are usually definate and bright. With the larger sizes the colors may fade some and they tend to swirl more away from a patch and ribbon. But nice colors and patch and ribbon style are also found in the large size. So far myself,i have only one larger size aquamarie. But i know that they are out there,i have seen a FEW that some major Vitro collectors have.

Maybe i shouldn't post this but here is a tip. Most of buttermilks especially the larger size have been found in older mesh bags,containing Vitro marbles. These mesh bags usually do not have Vitro anyplace on the header. Several mesh bags have been opened to get these buttermilks. The larger one that Edna has,came from a mesh bag. That bag had two large ones and three smaller size buttermilks. A good chance that most of the buttermilks produced went to a jobber or jobbers. The yellow for the buttermilks is much lighter,thinner,than the yellow in superiors and lots of Vitros. As posted earlier the blue stripe or swirling can sometimes be very dark almost black. There is some variation with the buttermilks,just like most named collectiable marbles. Most buttermilks are not cheap because the numbers produced may not be as large compared to other Vitros. Plus the mesh bags are not cheap and then easily opened to just remove certian marbles,to make them avialable. Just a little more info or background on buttermilks. The name(more than one)on the mesh bag headers? Maybe sometime later,if you are willing to search you will find them.

I am most certainly willing to search lol, thanks again Ron for all the info, you are a such a valuable member here and are greatly appreciated !

Dani what is this Red Horse bag you speak of ? you happen to have one laying around or maybe a pic ? or maybe even Al has a few ? either way id love to see one.

And dang it Ron you was supposed to wait until i found a Shooter Buttermilk until you spilt the beans about the Mesh bags :rolleye-842:

No way is my marble Master!! Master marbles are UGLY!

Hey now, not all Masters are ugly ! the only reason i said that was the seams, the colors really don't call for Master at all...

Does everyone agree this is an Aquamarine though ? sorry for the double post of this one but we got off on Buttermilks.

VitroAuqamarine1.jpgVitroAuqamarine.jpg

Or could it be one of those AquaMilks ? It sure don't fit the bill of most Aquamarines ive seen..