Antique Marbles: Stone, Bennington, China, . . .

Steph

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "agate cutter" pics are hilarious. Can you imagine laying down on the job all day (literally).

A pic of some more non-glass marbles, I think a couple are actually ground stone rather than clay/ceramic, maybe a couple ivory or bone too. Plus a neat note that came with some agates as I got them. (7th grade in 1927 wasn't me) I never paid much attention to the non-glass marbles and didn't think I had so many until I started rooting around

107_1530-1.jpg

107_1522-1.jpg

I like the "16" marble! And what's the one directly under it?

Looks like a 7 to me, figured they could be ballot box marbles or something? Game marbles maybe?

Must be -- not sure why they appeal to me so much -- old ivory color? Mysterious numbers? Now I'm gonna be puzzling over THAT for a while . . .

I think someone told me once that those little ivory looking things with numbers were from an old pool hall. They had a leather "bottle" filled with numbered balls that were used for some older pool games. The modern ones are plastic bottles with some kind of plastic numbered ball/shapes.

Thanks Scott!! I found that one in the wild... Many years ago, I ran it though Running Rabbit. But, I had a purpose and a goal in mind and it didn't meet reserve... It could happen again, but not for a while... LOL

Hey, looking at Bill's stash (And drooling profusely on my keyboard...) if that green agate is 1¼", the others must be pretty big!!!

Does that mean carpet balls can play here, too??? :D

"BALLS!!!," said the Queen!!! ("If I had 2 I'd be King!!!") ;)

post-3-126404879383_thumb.jpg

Hi there, here some non glass marbles found in Holland, the second pic are two Jasper types, with brown-red stripes, the large one, nearly 3cm, is made around late 1700- early 1800. This marble is made of two colors clay, the brown clay shrunk into the white-, while baking the marble. This type of pottery was common in Holland during that time, but marbles like this are rare, very rare I think? The small one is, almost for sure, made after 1820.

Cees.

P1010981.jpg

P1010980.jpg

Andrea, sometimes it's better to have quality over quantity!!! You did a great job of that. Those are beautiful!!!

LOL @ Brad... Yeah, it's hard to stop at one!!! Nice groups!!

Cees, great flowers!! The mottled pottery ones are great!! I think your right about rarety.. They look kinda familiar to me, but I don't know why or where I may have seen one (Probably at Bert Cohen's)

If they were made local (by country) and not exported.... They would be really tough to find outside of the Netherlands....

This Thread has got quite a way along but Splattman's initial post with the marble identified as a Jasper(Green and White) I really think is a Lined Crockery and it will often have green with blue on white swirling about. An especially rare one would have some pink. Larry Castle was always on the lookout for these. So, I think we've got clay here not stone unless 'Jasper' has taken on a newer meaning then I haven't heard about. David

Cees, great flowers!! The mottled pottery ones are great!! I think your right about rarety.. They look kinda familiar to me, but I don't know why or where I may have seen one (Probably at Bert Cohen's)

If they were made local (by country) and not exported.... They would be really tough to find outside of the Netherlands....

Thanks Sue, the large one of the mottled pottery is called: "Dutch variegated" clay marble, and they also could be found in America, but also there they are rare.

Here more Dutch non glass marbles, most of them are "diggers", found at several places in Holland.

Cees.

P1010964.jpg

P1010962.jpg