1938 Newsreel

Steph

A marble friend in the UK sent this link. So far the video hasn't loaded up for me. Hopefully someone here can enjoy it. Meanwhile, I shall keep trying. It's nice to know it's there even if I can't watch it.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=17729

Description from the site:

MARBLE CHAMPIONSHIP IN USA video newsreel film

Franklin, Tennessee, United States of America. Various shots of a school headmaster (unnamed) competing in a marble competition with one of his students. A crowd of children / teenagers watches. The pupil, Gilliam Traughber, loses to the teacher. They shake hands after the match.

There were only two marbles left at the end, so the kid wasn't doing half-bad himself. Their form was atrocious, though; who shoots marbles with one knee up?! *freaks out a little*

I sub for a school, and the teachers know that I played marbles, so usually the fifth-grade teachers ask me to come in once a year and teach the kids how to play during one of their history classes. It always goes over real well; the kids love the chance to finally do something other than sit at a desk and stare at the projector all day. But then they forget it immediately. Even when there was a marbles group, and I advertised it, nobody joined. They almost all said they would, but none ever did. :( What I really wish is that I could get a hundred kids to gather around and watch of game of marbles with the enthusiasm of this video.