Sad News From Phoenix

sissydear

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edna,

This just makes me sick!

Are you still in Phoenix? I would very much like to see you.

I met Bo during a very difficult period of my life. There is nothing like hard times for you to find out who your real friends are. It didn't take me long to determine my new friend Bo was a real friend.

Bo was a good man. He went over and beyond to help me when I needed it most.

I don't know what to say.

I am in Tucson until morning. Cheryl and I are coming back to Phoenix in the morning. We are visiting some folks Cheryl knows in the morning and then we're spending the night at Bud and Carole Cloven's house. Both of us fly out Sunday morning.

Edna

I talked to Bo only a week ago, he told me he was going to beat this illness, he was glad to be home from the hospital, he said he could not sleep in there, needed his own bed and quiet. and we talked about the next marble show.

I had picked him up at the airport for the Orange County marble show, and the motel where the show was, is not far from the airport, but I got lost, and it took almost 2 hours to get him to the motel, but he was so patient about it, and laughing, saying, "I didn't know I was going to get the scenic route to the motel"...that was the first Orange County show, when I asked if he wanted me to pick him up for the next one, he said he didn't want to miss the show so he had decided to take the shuttle. lol.

I will miss him so very much, he completed the marble shows I attended. What a great guy he was , always a gentleman all the way...

I am planning on being at the memorial service, but the weather is not cooperating. I can't drive in ice. While it will warm up somewhat on Saturday, I'm not sure the ice will be gone and I'm gonna be so sad if I can't make it. It's rare when a best friend is the best friend of both people in a marriage. I've only known 2 of those in my 49 years with Weldon. We lost our best friend in 2001. He lived in Oklahoma and we had been in college with him. I don't think it's a coincidence that we met our 2nd person who became the best friend of both of us in Tulsa, OK in 2002. We already had heard of Bo Stiff and Mark Capel. We heard those names many times from our friends in West Virginia.

The Tulsa show was difficult for us because we had lost our best friend, but we soldiered on and went anyway in 2003. A man came in our room and was talking about making marbles. I asked his name and he said "Mark Capel". Weldon and I couldn't believe it. When we told him our names, he went to the door in our room that connected to another room. He opened it and banged on the door to the connecting room saying "Bo, open this door". Bo Stiff opened the door and Mark said "You're not going to believe who these people are". He and Bo had heard about us from mutual friends in West Virginia. Bo was an instant friend. We met at shows, we traveled together, we ate together. Weldon and I were in his home many times. During his first chemo several years ago, we were so concerned that he was all alone, no family in Phoenix, that we went out there and stayed 2 weeks looking after him. We went often and visited Bo. Bo and I talked on the phone daily. He talked to me first and then to Weldon. He was definitely a best friend to both of us.

When Weldon was killed by the wreck I knew Bo was very sick and I didn't want to tell him. I knew it was all over the chat boards so I had to tell him. I called him from the highway on the long sad trip home. He had already seen it on the chat boards and was very worried about me. He said he wanted to be with Weldon and he was ready to die. At that point I believed he could still fight and beat the cancer again and I said "Bo, please don't do this to me. I couldn't stand to lose both of you at once." Bo had to hang up, he was crying. After that we talked daily as long as Bo was able. When the phone calls stopped, I knew the cancer was winning, and the diabetes, and the heart problems, and the COPD. It was so unfair of me to ask Bo to fight. I never said that again. I had Bo on the prayer list at my church and I talked to him when he was able to answer his phone.

We never went to the Tucson Best Bead without Bo. I went this year by myself to Phoenix, but a friend met me there to see Tucson with me. We went to the hospital to see Bo and he wasn't there. They wouldn't tell me the truth, but I knew. I drove to Bo's house and it was locked up and his little pickup was parked in his car port. I called Norma again and got the news that Bo had passed the night before I got there. Thinking back, I think it was a blessing. Norma had warned me that Bo didn't look like Bo. I think God spared me that. Bo got his wish and passed on. I will miss him forever, much like Weldon. Maybe, God is sparing me the sadness I will feel at the memorial service. If I don't feel safe driving because of the ice, I won't be going. My sister lives up there and has planned to be with me. She knows I need her. I know Bo is not there. He's with Weldon since Tuesday Feb. 1st. All of our lives will go on and we'll all feel his loss, some of us more than others. Bo's sisters were very close to him and they will miss him most. He was a best friend and Weldon and I were fortunate to know him and enjoy his companionship. I'll never forget his friendship. I'll treasure all of the marbles he made for us - not just micro minis, but full sized marbles. I'll treasure all the good times and in Bo's words "See you soon, old friend". I love you. Edna

I am planning on being at the memorial service, but the weather is not cooperating. I can't drive in ice. While it will warm up somewhat on Saturday, I'm not sure the ice will be gone and I'm gonna be so sad if I can't make it. It's rare when a best friend is the best friend of both people in a marriage. I've only known 2 of those in my 49 years with Weldon. We lost our best friend in 2001. He lived in Oklahoma and we had been in college with him. I don't think it's a coincidence that we met our 2nd person who became the best friend of both of us in Tulsa, OK in 2002. We already had heard of Bo Stiff and Mark Capel. We heard those names many times from our friends in West Virginia.

The Tulsa show was difficult for us because we had lost our best friend, but we soldiered on and went anyway in 2003. A man came in our room and was talking about making marbles. I asked his name and he said "Mark Capel". Weldon and I couldn't believe it. When we told him our names, he went to the door in our room that connected to another room. He opened it and banged on the door to the connecting room saying "Bo, open this door". Bo Stiff opened the door and Mark said "You're not going to believe who these people are". He and Bo had heard about us from mutual friends in West Virginia. Bo was an instant friend. We met at shows, we traveled together, we ate together. Weldon and I were in his home many times. During his first chemo several years ago, we were so concerned that he was all alone, no family in Phoenix, that we went out there and stayed 2 weeks looking after him. We went often and visited Bo. Bo and I talked on the phone daily. He talked to me first and then to Weldon. He was definitely a best friend to both of us.

When Weldon was killed by the wreck I knew Bo was very sick and I didn't want to tell him. I knew it was all over the chat boards so I had to tell him. I called him from the highway on the long sad trip home. He had already seen it on the chat boards and was very worried about me. He said he wanted to be with Weldon and he was ready to die. At that point I believed he could still fight and beat the cancer again and I said "Bo, please don't do this to me. I couldn't stand to lose both of you at once." Bo had to hang up, he was crying. After that we talked daily as long as Bo was able. When the phone calls stopped, I knew the cancer was winning, and the diabetes, and the heart problems, and the COPD. It was so unfair of me to ask Bo to fight. I never said that again. I had Bo on the prayer list at my church and I talked to him when he was able to answer his phone.

We never went to the Tucson Best Bead without Bo. I went this year by myself to Phoenix, but a friend met me there to see Tucson with me. We went to the hospital to see Bo and he wasn't there. They wouldn't tell me the truth, but I knew. I drove to Bo's house and it was locked up and his little pickup was parked in his car port. I called Norma again and got the news that Bo had passed the night before I got there. Thinking back, I think it was a blessing. Norma had warned me that Bo didn't look like Bo. I think God spared me that. Bo got his wish and passed on. I will miss him forever, much like Weldon. Maybe, God is sparing me the sadness I will feel at the memorial service. If I don't feel safe driving because of the ice, I won't be going. My sister lives up there and has planned to be with me. She knows I need her. I know Bo is not there. He's with Weldon since Tuesday Feb. 1st. All of our lives will go on and we'll all feel his loss, some of us more than others. Bo's sisters were very close to him and they will miss him most. He was a best friend and Weldon and I were fortunate to know him and enjoy his companionship. I'll never forget his friendship. I'll treasure all of the marbles he made for us - not just micro minis, but full sized marbles. I'll treasure all the good times and in Bo's words "See you soon, old friend". I love you. Edna

Edna - I will miss you if you aren't able to come to the celebration for Bo, but please don't put yourself in harm's way. Bo of all people would want you to be careful. I have put together a little .ppt slide show with the help of all of the wonderful pictures that I have received by email from so many of Bo's marble friends. I am thrilled to have so many great stories and pictures. What a fantastic community of people he accumulated!

I am watching the temperature very closely. Today I couldn't get there. Temps were down to 20 here last night and at noon they are still below freezing. Denton is colder. If tomorrow is not better for getting on the road, I won't be able to come. I hope it gets warmer both places and I can drive tomorrow to Lake Dallas.

Edna, Please be careful driving! I wish I could join you.

I read your story about the first time you met Bo. I met Bo and Mark at the same time, too. Bo had bought a marble of mine on e-bay and I invited him over to look at my marbles (I am sure it must have seemed like a pitful collection but he didn't let on). It is indeed a small world. I am from Missoui and had went to school with Mark's cousin.

Actually, my Dad lives in the same rural town as Mark's dad. I have been trying to get my Dad to call Mark's dad but he is so hard of hearing (and stubborn) it has been lost in transation. Last time I talked to Bo he chided me for not having paired them up yet.

Does anyone know who Bo collected post cards for? Norma is asking her sisters but I haven't heard yet. Please e-mail me if you know or are the one.

I thought it was his step Mom Jessie. I mentioned it to Norma, but I also thought he told me the state of Arkansas. If I remember right about Arkansas, he was mailing them to Tessie. Norma is going to check that out. It was one of the other.

Next week I'm going to post things I have that Bo made - marbles, pendants, key chain fobs and a flower pot he gave me.

The memorial service was nice. There was a picture of Bo, Weldon, and me in the background behind Weldon. When I left, no other marble people had come. I have some pics of Bo, but they are on disks, not in my computer. I'm going to search through disks and find pics of him for his family.

I read your story about the first time you met Bo. I met Bo and Mark at the same time, too. Bo had bought a marble of mine on e-bay and I invited him over to look at my marbles (I am sure it must have seemed like a pitful collection but he didn't let on). It is indeed a small world. I am from Missoui and had went to school with Mark's cousin.

Actually, my Dad lives in the same rural town as Mark's dad. I have been trying to get my Dad to call Mark's dad but he is so hard of hearing (and stubborn) it has been lost in transation. Last time I talked to Bo he chided me for not having paired them up yet.

Does anyone know who Bo collected post cards for? Norma is asking her sisters but I haven't heard yet. Please e-mail me if you know or are the one.

I found out at the visitation that Bo collected the post cards for my dad's widow, Jessie. Did Bo send you $$ periodically? If you will let me know how much, I will send you the $$ and you can send the cards to mew and I will get them to Jessie. Thanks!!

The memorial service was nice. There was a picture of Bo, Weldon, and me in the background behind Weldon. When I left, no other marble people had come. I have some pics of Bo, but they are on disks, not in my computer. I'm going to search through disks and find pics of him for his family.

Edna - could you please send me an email address for Phil Wilder if you have one? Thanks! I'm so glad we got to visit on Saturday.