Some Boring Ceramic Marbles...

akronmarbles

Nice collection Don. I like the crockery/stoneware marbles and I sure would like to learn more about them. Could anyone show some American Majolicas, or perhaps provide some thoughts on this? Is it just an odd greenish Bennington? Thanks.

2116982390104684377S425x425Q85.jpg

Nice, Winnie. You have some nice looking Jaspers in there. I also like the mostly white Benningtons with blue eye spots. And I'm not so sure that greenish thing I showed is a Bennington. I was sort of thinking maybe American Majolica but . . .?

Wow, Brian. I really like that American Majolica - great marble! Thanks a lot for posting the pics and info. And that cobalt blue is pretty distinctive, but I'm thinking it's going to take me quite a while to really "get it". It seems that some of the Akron marbles don't show any, or as many, significant "eyes" like I'm used to seeing on Benningtons, and most of the Akrons I've seen don't seem to have as complete of color coverage as most of the Benningtons I've seen either. Could you please provide a brief statement of comparison with respect to those two features? Thanks Again.

2474104320104684377S500x500Q85.jpg

Road...that one looks German to me..Ric - yours may be Akron...would need to see it in hand.

The Akron blue is copper based....there are examples with lots of eyes, but most examples from Akron were fired in a flat tray and were not touching the marbles next to them. There are examples with complete coverage as well. I can still tell them apart though.

Great thread!!! Thanks Akronmarbles, I have learned something today. When I first started collecting, I didn't think too much about these kinds of marbles. They were either "Benningtons" "Clay" or "Stone" with a "Lined Crockery" thrown in here and there. Haven't bought one in years, but have a bunch of them that I really like. They range in size from 7/16" for the small lined clays to just under 1 1/2" for the brown and green "bennie". The red one is 1". I have had these for 20+ years. Were they making fakes then? Or is the red one real????? Would really like your opinions.

post-2067-129903074313_thumb.jpg post-2067-129903076195_thumb.jpg post-2067-129903090516_thumb.jpg