Some Boring Ceramic Marbles...

akronmarbles

Hmm...I remember Hansel got one of my jaspers years ago when I used to sell on ebay. I still have 2 and never really got excited by them. Are they really HTF?

I look for them fairly regularly on ebay and don't find them very often. Nice examples, of course, turn up even less often than that. I don't know that they would be considered HTF by some collectors, but I consider them pretty HTF.

Jasper's are kind of common if you ask me...it's the Akron made examples that are extremely hard to find. Hansel is about the only other collector that I know who can identify them. They look very close but are definitely discernible if you know what to look for.

Thanks for the reply. I am still having a hard time with the painted clay ID. I can be a real dummy sometimes. I have several red painted clays. They just don't look quite the same. This marble was fired after it was painted. It has a glaze that the others lack. It also has touch marks or eyes like the Bennington types. Not trying to argue, I am seriously trying to learn. Did they make painted clays with a fired on glaze? Or, am I not seeing this right? Probably would be easier in hand. Here are a couple of different angles and a group with some red painted clays.

post-2067-129910289065_thumb.jpg post-2067-129910290865_thumb.jpg post-2067-12991029399_thumb.jpg

OOOH...is the second one for sale? I like it!

ya think it's an akron mib?

everything is for sale, for the right price. or maybe i'll just donate it to the shop.

if i ever get over this lousy head cold i'll drop ya a pm and we can set up a meet.

thanks.

• 11 months later...

Nice one Ric - That is definitely German IMHO. Flanco - your red example is a painted clay, not glazed. Identical marbles made in the states and abroad.

Is the 1 5/8" Green also a painted clay? I think I bought it many years ago as a Bennington. The marbles surrounding it were made by the American Marble & Toy Mfg. Co.

post-3316-0-63502300-1329850938_thumb.jp

post-3316-0-55527000-1329851024_thumb.jp

I know this is kind of a pathetic cheap plug... But, the goal is worth it!! LOL

I occassionally get together with some friends at a pottery painting place, just for fun and a purpose to see each other...

One of the projects I've been working on, are mobiles of marbles, painted on 3" ceramic ornaments... It seems, I either give them away or one gets broken, before i have enough to make the mobile!! ..... Someday, I'll put it all together!! LOL

I figured I'd try putting one up for Alan... It's a copy of a Pen. Dutch marble (It's in one of the books...) The center band color came out a little too orange!!

China Marble

Check it out!!