New Book

ann

Just ordered a new book (not out yet) from Amazon -- supposed to ship in mid-July -- that others here will be interested in:

Arnold Fiedler, Glass and Marble Maker Par Excellence, by Ralph K. Lucht.

I've heard it has some timeline info, and maybe some glass formulae info too. Can't wait. Have to. Heck.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered a new book (not out yet) from Amazon -- supposed to ship in mid-July -- that others here will be interested in:

Arnold Fiedler, Glass and Marble Maker Par Excellence, by Ralph K. Lucht.

I've heard it has some timeline info, and maybe some glass formulae info too. Can't wait. Have to. Heck.

$25 for a 32 page self published paperback. I may wait for your review.

Where did you hear about the booklet containing "timeline info, and maybe some glass formulae info"?

I don't know about Mike but I love getting some new facts(Actually he still enjoys learning like most of us..Can't wait to read some facts having to do with Arnold and CAC. And I have never heard of that school Ann mentions. Sounds like a sad place. When I talked to the Author a couple of years back he had been working at it for some time.

Hi up there, Ann. I don't know what the hey you were talking about up there. I just want to know more about the book.

You sounded like you might have talked to some people who might know something about it, that's all.

I just want to know more about the book. You sounded like you might have talked to some people who might know something about it, that's all.

Yes, I have.

But I take offense at being grilled about it. Where did you hear that? Name them all? Brief synopsis of what was discussed with each person?

Jeeeze louise.

First, for reasons that should now be painfully obvious to any stray reader of this thread, I've been asked not to do exactly that.

Second, even if I had not been asked to keep my conversations confidential, who I talk to and what I do with any information I may have or receive is my business, and my business only, until I choose otherwise. Same goes for all of you.

Thirdly, I feel no obligation to "report" to anyone on this board.

And, well, a lot of members here know perfectly well who the people are who are mambers of the dismal school I referred to.

I don't care whether you buy the book or not, or read it or not, or learn anything or not. Up to you. It always is.

Ann - while $25 (plus shipping) is not much to some people, it might be a lot to others. Especially if it is "only" a 32 page book, people might like to know a little more about it before buying it. So, any light you could share that would encourage people to buy the book will help the author cover publishing costs.

Mib Folks,

The book was published (I think)on or about May 11th and is available on Amazon. I bought on Amazon about a week after it was available. It is a real quick read (maybe 20 minutes +/-), but I did enjoy reading about Arnold's trek through marbledom. He certainly has been around. I have done a bunch of Googling over the years and was aware of some of the history, but I definately learned more through reading this book.

Mib Folks,

The book was published (I think)on or about May 11th and is available on Amazon. I bought on Amazon about a week after it was available. It is a real quick read (maybe 20 minutes +/-), but I did enjoy reading about Arnold's trek through marbledom. He certainly has been around. I have done a bunch of Googling over the years and was aware of some of the history, but I definately learned more through reading this book.

Hey great! Thanks for the information on the book. Presumably you are neither an elf nor a bird and have not signed away your free speech rights, so could you please spend a few minutes and tell us something more about the book's contents?

And what does the text have to say about the sulphide and the exotic Christensen on the cover? (Pictured on Amazon's site)

Maybe I will order a copy after all, if you can give us a favorable review.

Thanks a lot for your post,

regards,

Hansel

I have read the book too.

I am glad I did.

I have no dog in the hunt, but you might all be very interested to find out what Ralph has to say about guineas. His Fiedler time line seems well researched. The book gives Galen among others a credit so it must be worth reading.

This is my complete review for this thread.

Hey:

The book provides a basic summary of Arnold's work history with the glass and marble manufacturing companies he had worked for as well as some non-glass manufacturing employment:

Fostoria Glass

Consolidated Lamp and Glass

Tiffin Glass

Hotel proprietor and musician

Akro Agate

Peltier

CAC

Cambridge Glass

Chicago Glass Novelty Corp

The author also spends some time discussing Guineas and how they may have been made, also spending time discussing Henry Hellmers contributions to Akro, CAC and Cambridge Glass.

The pics on the cover are all attributed to the individuals that provided them. There are also some sweet pics of Akro hand gathered and CAC SOs and STs mibs, but they are not attributed.

That's it for my summary......hope is was helpful.

Hey:

The book provides a basic summary of Arnold's work history with the glass and marble manufacturing companies he had worked for as well as some non-glass manufacturing employment:

Fostoria Glass

Consolidated Lamp and Glass

Tiffin Glass

Hotel proprietor and musician

Akro Agate

Peltier

CAC

Cambridge Glass

Chicago Glass Novelty Corp

The author also spends some time discussing Guineas and how they may have been made, also spending time discussing Henry Hellmers contributions to Akro, CAC and Cambridge Glass.

The pics on the cover are all attributed to the individuals that provided them. There are also some sweet pics of Akro hand gathered and CAC SOs and STs mibs, but they are not attributed.

That's it for my summary......hope is was helpful.

Thanks very much.

It seems the book contributes something towards my rudimentary knowledge of Mr. Fielder so it may be worth my purchasing. It's once again available on Amazon.

But from what you say, does the book add more to marble myths than to our marble knowledge? (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, for those who thrive on myths.)

Are you shown what Mr. Fielder's contribution, if anything, was towards sulphides, Akro hand gathered, CAC SOs and STs mibs?

Seems other glass collectors have a much better handle of their history, and their glass makers. For example:

http://www.cambridgeglass.org/articles/0104/02crystalball350b.php

http://www.cambridgeglass.org/articles/0104/02crystalball350c.php

Lets hope this book is the first of many to come, that our mibologists will gradually dispel myths and uncover some more of our history.