Norland Marbles

Ric

Thanks a lot for the input, Don. I figured you might have some thoughts about these boxes and was hoping you'd comment. The bottom flap of the box reads, "NORLAND MFG. CORP., BROOKLYN 21, N.Y." and the top flap reads, "PLAY PACKAGE NO. 1445, Made In U.S.A.", so maybe not a department store? And here are a few closer photos. Dave, the first marbles you refer to are clear based with reddish-brown and VERY light blue/lavendar (nearly white) swirled in and on (They are quite different from the one you noted in the Champion bag I posted elsewhere). The ones in the top row of the first pic are "lady"-colored swirls on a green-blue transparent base, some have more clear (are lighter) than others. The ones in the middle row are clear-based with a little blue mixed in with white striping.

2608736410104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

The two below are blue and sea-foam green based with that distinctive "lady"-color swirling.

2499782480104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

Cool, Al. Thanks for showing it. It looks like the marbles are different than those in my box. I'd guess Cairo on a bunch of yours. But is that a brushed patch upper right? If we have original marbles, it would seem they packaged a variety of makers in these boxes.

Ric: Whne I went back and look at the box I was thinking it may have Cairo Agates in it instead of Alleys - I think I have a couple I dug on site about 10 years ago like one sin box.... We need Ron Shephard to weigh in on this...I also found another picture copy , will share later.

Don

Thanks again for the thoughts, Don. One of the marble types does look Cairo pattern-wise, but the glass looks much better than the Cairos I'm familiar with, and I've seen quite a few. I've also seen quite a few Alleys, especially early ones, that I'd put straight in the Cairo box if I didn't know where they came from. On top of that, there's always a chance that Norland bought from multiple manufacturers and just packaged what they had so it could be a mixture. Heck man, the problem with boxes is that the marbles in any or all of them may not be original to the package, so who knows for sure. But at the moment, I'm still thinking Alley on these. Have you ever seen that "lavender" on a Cairo?

• 2 weeks later...

The Norland boxes which i have seen,had marbles like Al,s box. The marbles i believe were Cairo Novelty. Ric,s box has Alley marbles for sure. The jobber very well could have bought from different companies,as most of them did. It is also possible that any of these boxes could have been refilled at some time thru the years. I think that i may still have one or two Norland boxes around here.