Marbles From Bulgaria

spara50

Got a curious email with these pictures attached from Bulgaria. Look like some amazing marbles if they weren't so rough. Has anyone seen anything like these? Some have a guinea look, some have a striped transparent look, some of the clear look like a cobra inside. Interesting group for sure. Any comments welcome.

Craig

bulgaria1.JPG

bulgaria2.JPG

bulgaria3.JPG

The only marbles that I have seen that come close to what those look like are marbles dredged up from the ocean bottom , river bottom or lake bottom. These sure are a mystery and very interesting. This is my opinion and nine alone. ----Leroy----

Interesting lot with a Euro vibe, but not anything you would expect to find together. Maybe a collectors reject pile filled out with later 3 color cats and damaged clearies.

Not seeing typical German handmades but maybe more interesting ones in the first pic.

So everyone is like me so far, haven't seen anything like them to compare them too. Really unique for sure. Wish they were in better shape.

@bigtee0 = I get emails asking for help once in awhile, this was one of them. Bulgaria, how weird?!

So everyone is like me so far, haven't seen anything like them to compare them too.

The top pic has some reminds me of these (ebay lot), note the unusual pontil similarity to your bottom left on ist pic, these are mainly left twist, can't make out which way your pic ones go.

post-1776-0-30197600-1335480103_thumb.jp

and the one in 1st pic 1/3 in 1/3 down reminds me of this single pontil one brought here from Portugal prior to 1978, I think it is German.

post-1776-0-93364400-1335480495_thumb.jp

I see what you mean Ziggy,the marbles with the guinea look,they appear to have one pontil.

German handmades -single pontil clouds-???

There are marbles in that group i've never seen before: handgathered opaque transitionals with several colors.

winnie

• 4 weeks later...

OP marbles look pretty rough, agree that they can take on that look from being under water for a while. Craig, did the person from Bulgaria hint at any details? Bottom of Grandamas fish tank etc. Still - interesting patterns and colors, I think I've seen a couple like them before

Dave, do any in post #11 have Mica or two pontils?

agreed,they look pretty rough,(maybe it's the pic?). post 13 it looks blue and green,interesting!

They differ from German or Japanese hand gathered transitionals.

I've never seen them here in Holland.

• 1 month later...

Yes, all in post #11 have pontils but no mica, the single color plain ones have two pontils and the fancier ones have single.

Yes Winnie, post #13 is odd, reminds me of a ground pontil oxblood slag.

These types all seem to be coming from Bulgaria, hope someone can tell us where they may have been manufactured.......they are definitely old.

I have seen these exact same photos a few months ago. I have to say that the thing most people in the Netherlands assosiate Bulgarian people with is crime. Bulgaria is a very poor country, so they probably do everything to get money. But perhaps these marbles were produced in Bulgaria, who knows.

Jeroen