Is This The Real Thing?

jeroen

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Modern Reproduction IMO. Lots of things are off IMO, The uneven lines, the leaf shaped end decorations are not consistent to original types, and why would one of the farmers have a Chinese style hat. We all know they were called Chinas because of the material they were made of.

Modern Reproduction IMO. Lots of things are off IMO, The uneven lines, the leaf shaped end decorations are not consistent to original types, and why would one of the farmers have a Chinese style hat. We all know they were called Chinas because of the material they were made of.

Agreed.

• 1 month later...

Did you notice that it's a 2 1/32 " marble ? The same waves are on all recorded scenics of this matter and done by the same hand . The leaves are consistent .. read Baumann page 36 in 4th edition . It's NOT a chinese style hat .. investigate hats to find out . It's NOT a chinaman .

If you look closely at the images, you can see a light brown "wash" that is over the whole marble under the paint. It was applied to the sphere prior to painting to make it appear "aged". You don't see this on real scenics.

Robert ... When i bought this , i saw the tan color and now that it's here i can see clearly that it is in representation of soil in the scenes for the plowing of earth , the base soil for the tree and the asian soil for the farmer . It's not ALL over it .

This one sold for $1125.00.

Does anyone remember what the two others that sold in the last couple of years brought?

Seems to me they were $2,000 to $3,500 each???

Just curious...

I'd ask Hansel , I bet he can recall even what size because he only has to look in his collection .. :ph34r:

I know some collectors in the past have been reluctant to post pics of scenic chinas in order not to encourage fakers to improve their art. (I am not commenting on this current marble)

I feel photos are necessary as a resource to learn. If you look back in past threads there are no photos. It makes it very hard to research. JMHO

If anyone has a problem these, I will gladly remove them.

These are photos of the current marble being discussed:

Edit: Never mind I tried!

I know some collectors in the past have been reluctant to post pics of scenic chinas in order not to encourage fakers to improve their art. (I am not commenting on this current marble)

I feel photos are necessary as a resource to learn. If you look back in past threads there are no photos. It makes it very hard to research. JMHO

If anyone has a problem these, I will gladly remove them.

These are photos of the current marble being discussed:

YES , REMOVE PLEASE

I don't think there's anything wrong with showing the pictures. They're from ebay. They're educational. I know that Sue had reservations about showing the real ones because she didn't want the fakers to know how to improve their product. But if someone else had some undisputed ones to post, I wouldn't ask them to be removed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with showing the pictures. They're from ebay. They're educational. I know that Sue had reservations about showing the real ones because she didn't want the fakers to know how to improve their product. But if someone else had some undisputed ones to post, I wouldn't ask them to be removed.

This is NOT the place to have opinions given by any moby dick who wants a say in what people should think about a marble and thus destry a valuable marble's history .

Do you know what i would do to you if i was a company and you were running down my product ....it wouldn't be pretty .

There was a guy named Flessa in Germany who was making chinas which were being passed off as old. Some variations on the spelling: Flesse, Vlessa.

I think this might be one of the ones he made:

230432089827_ive856_a.jpg

Why would you post a marble and say that you " think " this may be a fake ? It looks fake but are you sure of this ? I would agree ..

If you look closely at the images, you can see a light brown "wash" that is over the whole marble under the paint. It was applied to the sphere prior to painting to make it appear "aged". You don't see this on real scenics.

Hey Bob , I'm being beaten up from both sides with a stick ! Gimme a break and quiet things down on my marble good buddy .

Bob

Why would you post a marble and say that you " think " this may be a fake ? It looks fake but are you sure of this ? I would agree ..

I am confident that it is a fake but I tend to be guarded in my expression, just in case I turn out to be wrong, even though I don't believe that will happen in this case.

I post it for educational purposes.

Yours looks like that one's brother or cousin.

I am confident that it is a fake but I tend to be guarded in my expression, just in case I turn out to be wrong, even though I don't believe that will happen in this case.

I post it for educational purposes.

Yours looks like that one's brother or cousin.

No , yours looks like a cat took a dump and pushed it around .. mine looks great because it is an original 1850's marble.

Hey Steph, I guess I probably did have reserves about discussing the fine points of how to tell when a marble isn't what the general marble community refers to as a "Scenic China." And, yes... For those reasons... But hey... We can't keep everything secret, either.

This marble isn't fake... It's a real marble!! It's china (I presume) and it has a scenic scene painted on it...

But, it sure isn't anything near what I would refer to as a "Scenic China..."

Bob, you can call it a scenic china, you can call it a Christmas Miracle, or you could call it George...

You can ask Bob, you can ask Hansel, you can ask Paul Baumann (I've got his number around here, somewhere...)

But, I'll tell ya, I sure as hell am glad I'm NOT the one with more than 25 bucks in it.

'Sorry, man.... But, there's just no way to wish it any different. :party-243: