Is This The Real Thing?

jeroen

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From his About me section on Ebay...also has his address and phone#.

I quote:

"I love going to garage sales in the early morning and rushing to try and be the first in line to get the good stuff. It's a little difficult doing this because i live in the upstate woodlands of New York State and there are no sales around me, which means i need to travel down to 1 of the cities which surround my area . My 1st love is with Marbles . I stated by reading what i could get my hands on and then going to the major marble shows. I met Bob,Stan and Mrs Block and got to be good friends with them and sold many marbles through their auction catalogs as well as at the shows that my " Cousin " Bert Cohen set up in Marlborough Mass . This is also where i met and became good friends with Larry Castle and Marlow Peterson and picked their brains for knowledge . Beverly Brule.. became an excellent friend and we discussed many things over the internet . I became buddies with Dennis Webb of Greenburg Guide to Marbles when i sent him an undiscovered bag of factory produced marbles which had not come to the surface over his many years of being in the marbles hobby & business . I did writing of articles for the Marble Collectors Society Of America and became very well known for my research into how certain marbles came into being . I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT " I NAMED THE PARROT MARBLE " , It happened when Bob Block was standing in back of me looking at my marbles at the Marlborough Mass. Show . Needless to say that when all the marble books suddenly hit the market and the dealers got hold of them , the ease of acquiring decent marbles became almost impossible without paying well increased prices , so it seemed time to expand and get into other fields as well as marbles . I did operate a marble polishing/grinding machine for a few years and was 1 of the first to do so in New York State . The most recent thing to happen is that my friend Hansel has worked with the JABO CO. and created a new marble called " Eagle " . Turns out that a bunch of my friends were there with Dave making all kinds of new JABO marbles . There...gee..now you know who i know and that should give you a good idea of my socialization . Brian Estepp is Morphy's main guy on the marbles scene and becoming the go to guy as an authority .Luckily i spent about 2 months with Brian getting my Machine Mades .. set up for the auction and are now very good friends ."

An other simple reason why this is a fake. If it was a real China scenic, the big collectors would have jumped on it, and it would have sold for $4000-$5000 or more. A few months ago, this China: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-19th-CENTURY-HANDPAINTED-CHINA-MARBLE-/300789092560?pt=Marbles&hash=item46086d50d0

was sold for almost $2800. I know who was the highest bidder, and he knows his marbles. This is a rare marble too, but I think China scenics are even rarer. So a real China scenic woud sell for much more than $1125!

Jeroen

Well this is going to be an interesting topic. I just saw that this china was sold for $1125! But I thought that there is no real serious discussion if this is a fake or not. This is 100% fake in my opinion. Everything is wrong about this marble. A bonus is that is comes from the Czech Republic. I live in the Netherlands, and when the eastern European countries got their freedom du to Perestoika, all kind of trouble/ fake products etc. came on the market in Western Europe. It got worse when the Bulgarians and the Rumanian countries got their freedom of traveling through Europe also. You have to understand that those countries were, and still are very poor (Czech Republic has improved very much). So they will try everything to get money. And if someone in those countries find out that there are crazy collectors who want to pay thousands of $$$ for marbles, it is just a matter of time and fake ones will appear.

This summer there was a seller from Rumania, or Bulgaria I think with lots of strange rare marbles. The description was saying the marbles were from the 80ties, but they sold like real old handmade marbles. Prices up to $400-500 if I remember correctly. I think those marbles were some kind of remelts, or creations of old other old glass. There are probably enough high skilled glassworkers in those countries, so no problem create such marbles.

Well I am just curious what we will see at ebay in the future coming from those countries. Be careful!

Jeroen

Like i said .. I'm sending you a personal message .

Boy, ya spike a fever and spend the afternoon asleep and see what you miss?

First of all, I really wouldn't consider myself an expert on scenic chinas. I've bought and sold a few, and auctioned a few, but I've never researched them. So, holding me out as the expert on them would be a mistake. You really should talk to Hansel, he's the one I would consider an expert.

Using Carskadden and Gartley as the bible of scenic chinas is also probably a mistake. The book was written something like 25 years ago, so the info in it is based on what they had seen up to that time. It would not reflect anything that was uncovered since then.

So, what can you say about this marble?

It is a scenic china.

It is different from scenic chinas that had been found as of 25 years ago.

The base marble is different from traditional scenic chinas.

The style of painting is cruder than traditional scenic chinas.

They were not seen by collectors prior to about 5 or 6 years ago.

That's about all that you can really say that we know is true. None of us was there when it was found. We've all seen enough catseyes come out of attics that supposedly have been closed since the 1930s, to know that you can't believe any story. None of us really knows when it was made.

And the ebay seller has sold other marbles in the past that have been of questionable design, date and provenance.

Bob , did you see my post backwards in this ... That scene looks exactly ,,. like the previous find and is not differant or crude ... with that said .. it's done by the same one who did Hansels plow .

Bob

Hello Collectors,

Who is this CallBob? Escaped from a mental institute? I just got a private message from him with the subject:God damm Asshole!

I will hurt you as bad as i can when i meet you .. &^*** you , I don't care what you say except in public . Shut your god dam mouth .. or what's your address ? Where do you live and what time are you home ..

Bob (Block), don't tell me your are friends with this brain sick person. I can't inmagine that Brian Esstep is a friend of this psycho also.

Can we terminate him from this forum. He is mental ill and a waist of time for every one on this forum here!

Jeroen

I'm sending a message to Lou. I used to be able to put members on moderation so we could screen their posts at least. I'm not sure I have that ability anymore. Sending message to Lou right now.

Hello Steph,

I can just see that Callbob is reading this topic and currently is using his personal messenger, so I think I can expect the next threatening mail very soon.

Jeroen and Galen, I found something which I hope is at least a temporary fix. If the threatening messages continue, please make Lou or me aware of them. (Edit: Lou took care of it. Thx, Lou.)

William, the name which comes to my mind on CallBob's avi is "Pennsylvania Dutch". I'm not sure though. Gonna try to look that up now.

As long as we're all reporting private messages, I'll add one to the mix... Actually, there were 2, but only one was really vulgar.

At the time, I didn't bother with it.... I'd already written him off an idiot. I'm a big girl, I've heard worse things!!! LOL

(Hell, I've said worse things!!! LOL)

The marble in the avatar is what I've always called a "Pennsylvania Dutch." Not because it really has any connection to Pennsylvania Dutch. That's just a name somebody (Probably CallBob) started calling them, for loss of a better name...

To my knowledge, there isn't any confirmed identity of origin... But, that one sure looks authentic to me

(I'm sure CBob will be relieved to hear that!! :rolleye-842: )

Guest browse4antiques

The "Pennsylvania Dutch" in the C&G book look quite different than the avitar - the lines are finer.

In Canada its a crime to make threats of the nature that I've seen here, particularly if there are references to weapons, as then I think it automatically becomes a death threat. Isn't it the same in the USA? ... Roger

I was also convinced that CallBob was fake... He sounds like a less knowledgeable Tom Reed. I figured it was Tom acting stupid.

But, alas..... I've heard that he is quite real from people who actually know him!!

Sometimes, it's really scary when we find out who we share the Earth with!!

I have a couple Penn. Dutch marbles... And, I've seen a few more... If that's fake, it's exceptional and we're in trouble.

It also has an exceptional color combo.

PS.... I may have done some ballsy things in my life.... But, I sure as hell wouldn't threaten Lloyd in the back woods of Pennsylvania!!!

;) @ Lloyd

From his About me section on Ebay...also has his address and phone#.

I quote:

"I love going to garage sales in the early morning and rushing to try and be the first in line to get the good stuff. It's a little difficult doing this because i live in the upstate woodlands of New York State and there are no sales around me, which means i need to travel down to 1 of the cities which surround my area . My 1st love is with Marbles . I stated by reading what i could get my hands on and then going to the major marble shows. I met Bob,Stan and Mrs Block and got to be good friends with them and sold many marbles through their auction catalogs as well as at the shows that my " Cousin " Bert Cohen set up in Marlborough Mass . This is also where i met and became good friends with Larry Castle and Marlow Peterson and picked their brains for knowledge . Beverly Brule.. became an excellent friend and we discussed many things over the internet . I became buddies with Dennis Webb of Greenburg Guide to Marbles when i sent him an undiscovered bag of factory produced marbles which had not come to the surface over his many years of being in the marbles hobby & business . I did writing of articles for the Marble Collectors Society Of America and became very well known for my research into how certain marbles came into being . I AM PROUD TO SAY THAT " I NAMED THE PARROT MARBLE " , It happened when Bob Block was standing in back of me looking at my marbles at the Marlborough Mass. Show . Needless to say that when all the marble books suddenly hit the market and the dealers got hold of them , the ease of acquiring decent marbles became almost impossible without paying well increased prices , so it seemed time to expand and get into other fields as well as marbles . I did operate a marble polishing/grinding machine for a few years and was 1 of the first to do so in New York State . The most recent thing to happen is that my friend Hansel has worked with the JABO CO. and created a new marble called " Eagle " . Turns out that a bunch of my friends were there with Dave making all kinds of new JABO marbles . There...gee..now you know who i know and that should give you a good idea of my socialization . Brian Estepp is Morphy's main guy on the marbles scene and becoming the go to guy as an authority .Luckily i spent about 2 months with Brian getting my Machine Mades .. set up for the auction and are now very good friends ."

Hello, and what is the name of this person that is on ebay? I am asking because I got an email from a friend who have received the same crazy emails years ago, also about a marble being fake or not. Those emails came from Scott Patric. Scot Patric has also a website marble integrety. Or at least he refer to this website when he post here on this forum. He had a list on that website with the worst marble dealers around. I think Bert Cohen was nr 1 Bob Block nr 2 or 3. So I would not surprice me if the name Callbob is just a kind of sarcastic reference to Bob Block.

I could be all wrong here, but my friend was more or less convinced that this Callbob is Scott Patric.

Jeroen