Akro Swirl?

Mborda

There was at least one different swirl type from the digs. I'm remembering red, green and white .....

Edit: yup, I checked my dug Akro box and I have a couple of the red/white/green swirls (in really lousy shape :))

I checked my dug Akro box and I have a couple of the red/white/green swirls (in really lousy shape :))

Kool! Are they really swirly, or not so much? Does one color predominate, or . . . ? Do they resemble anybody else's swirls?

I guess Akro wasn't happy with them, since they don't seem to have been distributed. Maybe they didn't see the point as long as they had a marble (the corkscrew) that nobody else could reproduce . . . ?

Pretty swirly. I can't guess whether they were even meant to be swirls or if they started out as something else. Seems kinda odd how the red and green are split up on the smaller one. Don't know what that might signify though.

DugAkrosRedWhiteGreenSwirl003_60pct_zps2

DugAkrosRedWhiteGreenSwirl006_60pct_zps6

Oh, how weird. They look kinda Christmas-tree-ish, don't they. Oh hey, forget I even said that! I don't wanna go there.

I see exactly what you mean by "I can't guess whether they were even meant to be swirls or if they started out as something else. Seems kinda odd how the red and green are split up on the smaller one. Don't know what that might signify though."

They don't look anything like I halfway expected them to look -- although I would be hard-pressed now to tell you exactly what I expected. More CAC-ish, maybe? > head scratching< Gonna take some time to absorb these . . . .

I agree with Alley for the OP, and here are a few more dug Akro swirls for comparison - they are such outliers. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if there are buckets of them out there somewhere.

DugAkroSwirls_zps0e18aab0.jpg

Thanks for showing those, Steve. I too wonder whether Akro packaged those Hot Shot bags. They were so big on branding it seems strange there is no mention of "Akro" on the bags. In addition, I've wondered if those bags are related to the Big Shot mesh bags, which were filled with WV swirls. Some Big Shot bags were jobbered by Pressman and others were packaged by Heaton Agate.

Here's an interesting N Shure Co. ad from 1939. It shows a 25 count Hot Shot bag. Although, they are selling 30, 60 and 100 counts with "assorted sizes and types", which doesn't really seem like something Akro would normally do, does it?

1939NShureHotShotandAkroAd_zpsee598bdf.j