Marbles From China

Steph

... or thought to be from China

Description from ebay auction:

hard to find, pair of birds on a firebush. hand painted. thought to be of chinese origin. the paperweights have been signed china.

Possibly from the 1930's or 1940's. However, some think later.

AntiqueFireBushBirds_a_50pct_zpseb31d661

AntiqueFireBushBirds_c_50pct_zpsd17e3aca

one on the right looks like some kinda sulphide. one on the left looks lightning strikey. i didnt mean to avoid the question about the lightning strikes, but others here have more knowledge on those so i felt obligated to let them answer.

The one on the right in my pic? It has confetti inside.

One neat and odd thing about that one is that one of the confetti pieces is pink and white striped. And it's pretty much a total match for the pink and white striped piece which is rolled into the middle marble.

I have a grouping similar to the ones that Steph posted. I bought them in Amana or Columbus about 15 years ago. I was also told they had been purchased in Shanghai. Unfortunately, I've never been able to ascertain the age.

I'm pretty sure the "leaf" style Banded Opaques are from the same location and era.

Here's an Ebay listing that I was following for a few months for a Chinese paperweight with sulphide birds. http://www.ebay.com/itm/181088994529

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...