Metal 'hallmarks' (Or Stampings)

I'llhavethat1

Anyone know of a forum where pics/description of a metal hallmark or 'stamp' can be commented on?

Not talking about fine silver/gold or anything like that. My guess is mainly copper/brass (military?), galvanized steel (tea pot, flask) and other items that might not be worth much time, but since some are marked it got me curious.

Thanks

As someone who is a total ignoramus on this subject

(and on most others if you ask certain people)

I just wanted to mention that I have no idea what

you're talking about here. The post is a little vague.

I don't mean that in a rude way, since your 1022

other posts have been great! :D

Lol, thanks guys. I'm not savvy on the topic either so maybe some of my terms are incorrect. Basically, metal fabricators would stamp their product with a symbol or code that (when translated) helps to identify details such as where/when/who made it. I'm looking for a recommended forum where a two way discussion can be had. Similar to here where people post marbles for ID.

You are right they are called hallmarks, most makers even in a production environment put a hallmark on their products. It is nearly always the case with gold and silver and as you say many other metal items.

All my best ...... Danny

P.S. My hallmark is Lopacki in script as seen on this silver whistle I made for my grand daughter.

post-3509-0-57557400-1379375410_thumb.jp

Tonight I'm kind of feeling and appreciating what you like in the marks.

Although I like the metal-reaction color changes in the third picture as well.

Have to assume the photos will only help find others who share your interest. ( :

• 2 years later...

Blink an eye and it's 3 years later, lol. So this is what I've found since (curiosity never sleeps, for some of us right?). 

The top pic is apparently an oiler from WW1, the C being for Canada and the 'broad arrow' or 'crows foot' within is a British military mark. 

The second pic shows the mark of Henry Loveridge & Co.  Wouldn't have figured that one out until I saw it on a second (more ornate) piece that literally spelled it out . 

Thanks for the links and help :)