Original Boxes And Bags Please

Killermarbles

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

now how about the very common master box as if I remember correct cases of these were found . and there even were fake boxes made . look at the back as signs of another box on top for many years sitting in a case , That is what made me want one . Mike

post-94-0-54876500-1385518630_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-66138700-1385518639_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-47846800-1385518648_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-46791300-1385518656_thumb.jpg

the back with the signs of years of storage no fake here . Mike

post-94-0-26755100-1385518664_thumb.jpg

Wow -- me neither. Do the solid-colored ones (the purples especially) look handgathered? That's the first box I've seen (not that I'm particularly knowledgeable about boxes -- I'm not) that looks like it might have some of those solid-colored hangathered Akros that I've only seen from digs. Nice!

P.S. The baby blue ones wouldn't be fluorescent, would they? (Holding breath)

The Blue Yellow and Green look like MFCs.. . .

Yep -- that's why I was curious about the baby blue being fluorescent or not. I have a nice HG one, but have been told it's Akro and not MFC because it's (very) fluorescent. I have a single much-cherished non-fluorescent MFC (from Alan B back in the day) but don't know how much weight to give any minor differences in color between those two, since color could vary somewhat from batch to batch. Especially with MFC, or so I've heard/read/been told.

Never thought of Akro's early use of MFC marbles in connection with these solid-color HG types. Good point, Galen.

I'd assume the purples would be Akro, given that MFC purples are rare? Or heck, maybe not.

All the examples I have are dug (3 or 4 purples, a couple of different greens, a couple of different reds), and have that peculiar very fine surface striation of HG marbles that have come out of the ground at Akro.

Do the blue ones (or any of them) fluoresce, Hansel?

And here are a couple ads for that box, courtesy of George Sourlis, when Akro was in Akron as well as when they moved to Clarksburg.

I bought the Akro box from Norm Brown (a great guy, and a true collector, may he RIP) who found it in an antique show in a shopping mall in Calfornia.

Wonder if any of the Clarksburg boxes will show up?

Note, the ad from Clarksburg no longer offers the opaque marbles.

post-358-0-08858000-1386178204_thumb.jpg

post-358-0-48456600-1386178225_thumb.jpg

Yes they dug gobs of weird handgathered marbles at Akro. More than likely their earliest attempts but one must remember Akro got boxcars of marbles from MFC and it has been proven they used MFC marbles before they produced their own.

That got me going last night, rooting around for my Cohill book ( . . . and the Perfect Glass Ball Machine), which I finally unearthed. The surviving records seem pretty detailed, with Cohill saying that some of the more unique MFC examples can be pinned down to a particular day, and in some cases to a particular pair of glassworkers. So I don't know that there's enough wiggle room there to account for all of the HG oddities that came out of the ground at Akro. But some -- like you say, maybe, for sure. Why wouldn't they, if some were in the "whatever's left" Akro purchase?

Hansel, in that last box -- is that yellow as bright as it seems in the pic? Wow. Not sure I would have expected that from early Akro, much less MFC. Got to go back and find out when they started using cadmium as a yellow colorant. Unless one of you guys just knows, off the top of your head. I don't.