Original Boxes And Bags Please

Killermarbles

<snip>

Hansel, in that last box -- is that yellow as bright as it seems in the pic? Wow. Not sure I would have expected that from early Akro, much less MFC. Got to go back and find out when they started using cadmium as a yellow colorant. Unless one of you guys just knows, off the top of your head. I don't.

Ann, yes, they are bright yellow.

Also, I just remembered that George Sourlis wrote an article about that box:

http://www.joemarbles.com/3Marble%20Articles/George%20Sourlis/0005%205th%20Article%20Akro%27s%20Earlies%20Box.htm

Actually, eight of George's articles on original boxes can be found on Joe Street's website:

http://www.joemarbles.com/3Marble%20Articles/1Marble%20Articles%20Home%20Page.htm

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd forgotten about those -- I hadn't read the box ones, but his "The End of the Slag" made a light bulb go off in my head back when I first got into slags . . . got to go read the box ones now . . .

OK, looks like cadmium was used as a glass colorant as early as the 1860s, so no issue with bright yellow (as opposed to pastel / "egg yolk" yellow or a darker mustard-y yellow) for MFC. That's earlier than my increasingly faltering memory remembered . . .

He did Galen, he was nice enough to give me a few of those pieces and the yellow is a spot on match. The purple ones in one of Hansels boxes look akro to me, I have a few pieces of the mfc version, the look different IMHO

The purple ones I have that were dug at the Akro site are a good bit darker than those in Hansel's box -- was there a fair variety in the Akro HG purple opaques? (I haven't seen enough of them to know.) Were any darker purple ones found at MFC, or were they all pastel?

I forgot you had some of those pieces/parts! Now I remember a pic of those bright yellow ones. Getting older and older . . .

Wow -- me neither. Do the solid-colored ones (the purples especially) look handgathered? That's the first box I've seen (not that I'm particularly knowledgeable about boxes -- I'm not) that looks like it might have some of those solid-colored hangathered Akros that I've only seen from digs. Nice!

P.S. The baby blue ones wouldn't be fluorescent, would they? (Holding breath)

Ann....here are 2 "MARBLES" that I used to own.....The first one I sold 6 years ago..was it you who bought either one of these from me?.......at the time I thought it was a Turq Persian.....It certainly appears to be very much hand gathered and it glowed under UV lighting.....

persian2001.jpg

persian2003.jpgpersian2002.jpg

persian2007.jpgpersian2006.jpg

Here is the other one I sold 2 years ago ....it also glowed but had more of a greenish color....(imperial jade?).....Are these MFC, Akro, CAC or just plain ole game marbles?....any thoughts?

imperialjade2001.jpg

imperialjade2002.jpgimperialjade2003.jpg

imperialjade2004.jpgimperialjade2005.jpg

imperialjade2006.jpgimperialjade2007.jpg

Have not seen these pictured so far in the posts. I also have a question. Have you ever found some great mibs and put them in a special place, so you would be able to keep track of them and then could not find them? I finally found some nice peltier pearlized patches knew they were going into the display case put them aside and have not been able to find them

post-80-0-58754000-1387149899_thumb.jpg Jten

• 3 weeks later...