Talk About Oxblood & Show Some

Mike

It seems that many companies had the chemistry down for making and using oxblood in the production of marbles. I am beginning to think that there is a whole spectrum of colors that might be called oxblood. I feel like I have seen the real (Christensen & Akro) ox, burgandy ox, chocolate ox, brownish ox, pinkish ox, maybe even a lavender ox and many shades in between. Am I barking up the wrong tree and one must go by a strict definition or is there something to what I just posted? Weigh in please.

Sorry but I never figured out the way to put pictures here or I would show some examples but I think there might be others out there who can post variations on the color ox.

It seems that many companies had the chemistry down for making and using oxblood in the production of marbles. I am beginning to think that there is a whole spectrum of colors that might be called oxblood. I feel like I have seen the real (Christensen & Akro) ox, burgandy ox, chocolate ox, brownish ox, pinkish ox, maybe even a lavender ox and many shades in between. Am I barking up the wrong tree and one must go by a strict definition or is there something to what I just posted? Weigh in please.

Sorry but I never figured out the way to put pictures here or I would show some examples but I think there might be others out there who can post variations on the color ox.

Back in the 1800's or early 1900's some of what we call oxblood now would likely have been called other things based on the up close and personal knowledge which people of that era had with the blood of various animals.

The French name for oxblood ceramic glaze was "sang de boeuf". Other glaze names were sang de poulet and sang de pigeon (chicken blood and pigeon blood). And then there were less gory names like peach bloom, crushed strawberry, crimson and liver.

I looked those up a long time ago and don't remember my sources now but I think those names were all given to different copper-based colors --- the spectrum of what we now might lump under the name oxblood.

Great marbles and photos from Dan and Jeeperman.

And some likewise great technical stuff from Galen,

which, if I'm reading it correctly, would suggest that

the answer to your question is "Yes, there's something

to what you're saying. But it isn't contrary to the idea

of a strict definition."

(And some more good info from Steph which must

have posted while I was hunting and pecking this message!)

You are correct Andrea, but it was another lost cause(lol). It is really hard to prove it is, or is not, "True" oxblood glass or not. I do still believe only the German makers, MFC and Akro actually made and used Oxblood glass on purpose. And while much "Accidental" oxblood glass shows up, Alley especially, I believe it was all just accidental occurances. And maybe someday we will even find out Alley did make it.

Here’s my contribution to the thread…..A “chocolate oxblood” that I seriously regret selling……has an opaque chocolate tan base with strands of grey and white throughout the ox…..
chocoxblood001.jpg
chocoxblood002.jpgchocoxblood003.jpgchocoxblood004.jpg
chocoxblood005.jpgchocoxblood006.jpgchocoxblood007.jpg
chocoxblood008.jpgchocoxblood009.jpgchocoxblood010.jpg

The “fold” really put me in the mind of a CAC but I’m pretty sure it was Akro and it was listed as such…but boy doesn’t that turkey curve like a CAC?….Here’s what it looks like in a collection of other Akro oxbloods
chocoxblood012.jpgchocoxblood013.jpg

• 3 years later...