The Knuckle Down Chewing Gum Package

hdesousa

Just noticed the grade ramping up from large to small. Don't know if the Germans did that in their coffin boxes. Can you post another pic of the artwork on the front (theme looks European). Curious why you added Agate marbles, do you know something we don't yet? :)

Yes, the Germans used ramps in their tapered boxes, but I doubt they chewed gum.

I added the agates to the section labeled "Agate Section 3". No particular reason, other than that section may have originally held agates, but the 1" stone agates that I used would probably have been much too expensive. "Agate Section 3" probably held glass marbles; wish I knew what kind.

Here's another pic of the box top, as you requested:

Miscmarbles033_zpsf68e7ed7.jpg

he box lid was raised for a reason I would imagine was to make room for the Gum. But 150 pcs? An excerpt from http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bladams.htm:

...chewing gum manufacturers, formed as Adams Sons and Company in 1876 by the glass merchant Thomas Adams (1818-1905) and his two sons. As a result of experiments in a warehouse of Front Street, Adams made chewing gum that had chicle as an ingredient, large quantities of which had been made available to him by General Antonio de Santa Anna of Mexico, who was in exile in Staten Island and at whose instigation

The font reminds me of some of the stuff I got which says made in NYC in the 40'sand 50's, but the top is just out of place, maybe it was put on after? the picture looks dutch or something. cool box regardless.

Not Dutch,but you're right about the top it looks a bit out of place,i think the same, maybe it was put on after.

The clothes on the image resembling Tyrolean costume and was worn in Bavaria and Austria.

I think the image could be from 1860-1900.

It's strange me too can't imagine there's enough room for 150 marbles and 150 shewing gum.

Not Dutch,but you're right about the top it looks a bit out of place,i think the same, maybe it was put on after.

The clothes on the image resembling Tyrolean costume and was worn in Bavaria and Austria.

I think the image could be from 1860-1900.

It's strange me too can't imagine there's enough room for 150 marbles and 150 shewing gum.

Just an observation...the box appears to have an inset on the lower portion, that is, maybe, where another (missing) base for additional marbles could be placed over the existing marbles shown. There is space in the top that allows for that too. Cool box!

well, the font ive seen on several other things of that era, i know thats not iron clad, but it looks like printing press, i cant see if its dot matrix or solid from pic,, pine tar gum was popular back then, had it one time, horrible gum,,, box just says gum, not speremint peppermint ect.,, also looks like a soldier on the box, could be civil or indian war era,, if its foreign the i dont know the uniform,, just adding up stuff,,, bj

well, the font ive seen on several other things of that era, i know thats not iron clad, but it looks like printing press, i cant see if its dot matrix or solid from pic,, pine tar gum was popular back then, had it one time, horrible gum,,, box just says gum, not speremint peppermint ect.,, also looks like a soldier on the box, could be civil or indian war era,, if its foreign the i dont know the uniform,, just adding up stuff,,, bj

Makes sense that the printing style of the front label may indicate its age, thanks. But don't know why the scene on the top would necessarily be contemporary for the time the box was made. After all, my kid used a school lunchbox that pictured dinosaurs on it. Doubt it was more than a couple years old.

well I email Fred and here is reply . Mike

"Very interesting and I’m sorry that I know nothing about this item. I’m a novice chewing gum collector as well as a novice marble collector. I collect US made razor blade wrappers. I have over 4000 different US made wrappers. As I’m looking for additions to my razor wrappers, I find all types of things that catch my eye so I have marbles, gums, doorstops and other cast iron items, vintage advertising items, tobacco, coffee and other tins.

Sorry I couldn’t be of help,"