Open Core Latticno, Would You Polish It?

oldmarblenut

Here is a strange marble I have had for many years, I almost sent it to Leroy when he was polishing but I just couldn't do it, I was afraid to alter it from original condition so it would not be called a fake.

It's the worse marble in my collection condition wise, I wonder what everyone thinks about polishing it? The original pontils are still present even though it is beat to death, what would you do?

A. Keep it as is to retain originality?

B. polish it to enjoy it so it doesn't look so bad?

post-419-0-96950000-1393124801_thumb.jpg

I always considered it was first off cane. As a marble maker myself I always closed the cane when starting.

There is one possibility... it was a segment of pre made cane, re-heated and tooled round? the core colors touch the surface supporting the theory.

Previously I said the "pontils" were intact, it actually only bears one pontil opposite the open end.

I would stick to a liquid polymer I use one that is water soluble , it is a hard floor wax used in the local schools on there floors and they get a lot of traffic easy to use and lets you just soak in water if you want it back to original . Mike

before waxing

post-94-0-53452700-1393165081_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-10984500-1393165088_thumb.jpg

it takes a few times as I do let it run as it is a thin as water so very little must be put on , like tying to get the top wet , yes it does take a few hours but it does dry very as because it is so thin .

post-94-0-58827700-1393165094_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-36876200-1393165100_thumb.jpg

done

post-94-0-51904600-1393165107_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-64606900-1393165114_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-16281700-1393165121_thumb.jpg

post-94-0-00549800-1393165129_thumb.jpg

I used this because It was from work but have not done in a few years .

I see your dilemma. It's a unique marble with character and you can still reasonably see what's going on inside. Polished it could lose some of that character. The wax might be a good compromise

I'm still on the fence about this one (these pics are already underwater, so way worse surface condition than yours).

100_1286-1.jpg

100_1270-1.jpg

I have seen 4 original vintage cane cut vintage marbles that were actually made from where one cane had been added to another to keep production moving and the marbles consist of two two distinct cane types.

Seen a couple of those as well. Once things were more automated, "keep production moving" was sometimes beyond a decision made by the artist. Some oddballs made it through

In the day of mass produced cane cut marbles for games and play I wonder if they really considered themselves artists? More like production workers. These things were were made as fast as possible for never ending hour after hour. I believe some special effort was put into many of the larger meant for decoration type marbles but not the under an 1 1/2" toys.

As a lead gaffer most glassworkers take much pride in their works, even in the factories of today like Fenton, the gaffer was the #1 spot, he set the pace and held the responsibility of his crew to produce the wares, I'm sure they felt "special" as they had the highest skills of the team and needed to maintain those skills to stay #1.

In the old German marble factories I have always speculated the canes were made by a decorator and passed on to the gaffers for finishing, this would explain the open cores and mixed cane marbles.

Typical glass factory team... gatherer, decorator, gaffer and finisher, sometimes the finisher position was another spot depending on the wares made the team could be as much as 6 workers on a single line.

• 6 years later...

Stephanie, thanks for sending me the link to this thread. After seeing Michael's photos, I'm sold on this technique for me 3/4" popeye. Was your question about brand of product answered or any flooring was product? 

-Sara

7 hours ago, sarab said:

Stephanie, thanks for sending me the link to this thread. After seeing Michael's photos, I'm sold on this technique for me 3/4" popeye. Was your question about brand of product answered or any flooring was product? 

-Sara

That was Stefan's question.  More than one of us Stephs/Stefs floating around.  So, no, I don't have any extra info about brands.

1 hour ago, crowncarrier said:

I'm thinking of doing it with the big one in this photo. This one will look beautiful once it's done. Or should I leave it alone. My issue is there is so much beauty hidden in this one.

That's one of the nice things about the water-soluble polymer finish.   If you don't like it and wish you had left the marble alone, you can undo it.   Not as heavy a decision as it would be with one of the irreversible reconditioning methods.    You could practice on a different marble if you were still worried about what would be involved. 

18 hours ago, Steph said:

That's one of the nice things about the water-soluble polymer finish.   If you don't like it and wish you had left the marble alone, you can undo it.   Not as heavy a decision as it would be with one of the irreversible reconditioning methods.    You could practice on a different marble if you were still worried about what would be involved. 

I have no idea how to go about doing it. I'll head to the hardware store tomorrow. Wish me luck.