A Very Detailed Walk-Though On Image Hosting And Posting, 10 Easy Steps

Go to THIS link and Download Picasa (click on the word THIS)
Now, go to THIS link and set up a google + account (There's another THIS to click on :P )

I use Picasa because it is simple. personal and offers desktop features that no other image hosting service does. Picasa is VERY user friendly with tutorials and it is owned and ran by one of the largest companies on the internet. Therefore it will be around..well, for as near as the word "Forever" can encompass that I can think of.

Now, the following images give a detailed walk through on how to take image, that you have already placed on your computor, upload it, host it and then how to copy it's URL(link) and place it on the forums for all to see.

If there is ANY confusion,please, let me know. I tried to simplify this to take into consideration that many marble collectors may not be terribly tech-savy and I hope it does help some of you.

Create a folder on your desktop once you have done the above.
​Place your images in that folder. If you need help on how to transfer images from a camera to a cell phone, to your desktop, post and I will lend a hand
Name the folder
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STEP #1
Untitled.jpg

STEP #2
Click on PICASA to open it

DO NOT WORRY! The 1st time you open PICASA, it searches your entire harddrive for images or anything with a video extension to index in the program for access and use by you. Meaning the 1st time you open it,depending on the number of images on your box, means it could be 1-3 minutes before it is ready for use.

Picasa+1.jpg
STEP #3
Type in your folder name to find it easily
Picasa+2.jpg
STEP #4

On the left panel you will see your Folder name. Click on it to highlight it,then left click on it for options
Picasa+3.jpg

STEP #5
Select the UPLOAD TO GOOGLE + PHOTOS option and the following window opens
Piacas+4.jpg

STEP #6
Click on the UPLOAD button and the following window will open and show the upload progress, it is very fast
Picasa+5.jpg

STEP #7
Once it is complete,click VIEW ONLINE to go to the following WEBPAGE
Picasa+6.jpg

STEP #8
Click on the image you want to show and it will take you to that images page
Picasa+7.jpg

STEP #9
Go to the forum post where you wish to display the image and follow the instructions shown in the following image. I posted instructions INSIDE the forum image as if I were posting. Thre are 2 sets of data here, to reiterate how img code works, take time to read the post as well as the big black letters I added to it :)
Picasa+8.jpg

Step #10
Your image is now posted, via hosting, on your post/thread/topic
Picasa+9.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I

k6hh.jpg

I hope this was helpful to some

Robert

Interesting, Robert. Thanks. I was unaware of Picasa. I'll have to try this out.

I have been using it for 3 years.

It is so much better than Image shack or the other outfits as it ties to your google,gmail,etc, as your choice. You can REALLY do indeapth with it if you decide. Setting up groups,set privacy in your google+ then set the photos in that range as well

It does just about anything

And, with it being google, like microsoft, it is here as long as the internet is ;)

I also felt it would be SO MUCH easier for those not tech savy to simply click,upload,click,view than having to navigate through directories to find images to upload, then to try and keep it at hand,etc.

Any image that has been uploaded, will display such in picasa when you view its folder and you can click it and view it online, takes you right to it

It's just VERY user friendly.

I use it as my "marble" collection :) I take photos of it all,save it,upload it and set it is a photo album online and on my destop in picasa :)

Robert, would be really helpful if you brought up the subject matter again and elaborated a little bit on it on how and why you shoot your pictures in a low res and then their was one particular step you took to make them look good. Your close up's are really nice. Ronnie

• 3 weeks later...

Robert, so nice of you to go the extra mile and do all of this work. It was very enlightening. Right now I use my ACDSee7.0 photo program to store my pictures online but I am limited to my computer's memory and have to keep moving excess older pictures to disks for long term storage. I like being able to access everything right away and so Picassa might be an option as I have thousands and thousands of images...many not marbles though, as I am a generalist by trade. Thanks so very much, you are a special person.

• 4 months later...

Robert, would be really helpful if you brought up the subject matter again and elaborated a little bit on it on how and why you shoot your pictures in a low res and then their was one particular step you took to make them look good. Your close up's are really nice. Ronnie

Heck Ronnie, I missed your question...by moths. SO sorry

I do not use low res. I take every image at 3mp. I also use macro lenses to allow me to step back then zoom in rather than be right up on the marble. My camera is 10x and I stack a 10x on top of that. As I have an older Cybershot, there are VERY limited ways to extend your camera so I purchased 2 metal tubes that were threaded for a Kodak then hot glued them to my Sony plastic extension. It limits the light exposure to directly in front of me.

I purchased a macro set....and was gouged, then a camera guru took me under his wing and showed me how to make a 200.00 extension with lenses for about 35.00 rather than paying 90.00 for the extension and another 200 for the lens kit :)

I hope this helps.

Nice walkthrough Robert! I use Walagata. Pay site but even simpler to use.

I prefer google as I can layer EVERYTHING attached to google, by tethering, to anything that I have that is electronic. I can click on my phone and pull up thousands of my images and show them or text them on the spot. I can go to my gmail, start an email, click on my images through google+ and drop them directly into the mail.

It really is all preference and use. My web server is for my email and...maybe a book,someday :) If I cannot find a publisher I will end up releasing it for free and hoping interest garners enough attention to get me paid :P

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They would need to be a size that is smaller than I believe is available in I phone settings. You would need an app that resizes the pics to less than 425mb? then you should be able to load pics after going to full site on the phone.(Start new topic then attach files bottom left) It works on my Android phone