Unexciting Marbles

Steph

Was trying to figure out where to post a Pressman box or see if it was posted before, and I was reminded of this box. It's cool ... coz it's a box ... but who was the target audience for such a plain set and kind of rough looking set? Were they for marble games? Or some other play purpose like a target game?

post-279-1197506606.jpg

post-279-1197506639.jpg

post-279-1197506620.jpg

I don't know. But it looks to me like they were packaged and labeled for a retailer, who could keep boxes of them handy on his/her shelves, and sell the marbles one by one to customers . . . presumably out of some more attractive container!

Or they could have been part of a larger set for some kind of game, I guess.

Not really packaged to appeal to kids OR their parents, I don't think.

But anything is possible.

Was trying to figure out where to post a Pressman box or see if it was posted before, and I was reminded of this box. It's cool ... coz it's a box ... but who was the target audience for such a plain set and kind of rough looking set? Were they for marble games? Or some other play purpose like a target game?

post-279-1197506606.jpg

post-279-1197506639.jpg

post-279-1197506620.jpg

I'm guessing those industrial marbles are not original to the box, although they do fit very well.

In the upper left corner of the label, it looks as if some lettering (numbering?) was obliterated.

Here are pics of two similar, but different sized boxes. One has "25" in the upper left corner. The marbles in that box look as if they may have all come together. Some of the marbles in the box on the right look as if they don't belong, but that's the way I got them. Don't remember from where, but Pressman Bull's Eye Marbles boxes seem more common in the UK than here.

Bullseyemarbleboxes003_zpseca9f1fe.jpg

Bullseyemarbleboxes004_zps40f939f3.jpg

Bullseyemarbleboxes005_zpsafbe9c2d.jpg

Clyde sent me some of those.

I THINK he said they were used inside of insulation ? I think he also said some were used on the Viking Rockets, in their insulation,but don;t hold me to that. As I get older and more medicated I get snippets from stories confused. Like I am a DJ and mixing up data in my head to make NEW STORIES !! :P

the glass is made into balls for quality and shipping purposes. They are melted down and turned into glass fiber. They are also used in some cases as simple rollers for moving heavy objects around confined spaces(ie railroad cars) I also was told the were used by mixing into certian powderd product to help elliminate compaction during shipment in tanker cars. They were laying around in the hundreds along tracks Near my folks one time home in Riverside CA. Many neighbors gathered them up to use in rock gardens and other yard displays.

More Pressman Bull's Eyes. The first are Alleys from Pensboro, I believe. I think the marbles in the smaller bag are also Alley but they may be later - there appears to be a Peltier marble in the bag.

new527_zps21d338a7.jpg

new528_zps8ade1081.jpg