What Did Your Marble Bag Look Like?

Steph

My dad got rid of his childhood marble bag not very many years ago. He didn't realize I would want it even though it was falling apart. My grandmother made it for him from black and white checked cloth.

I didn't really play marbles but I did have a marble bag. My grandfather got it for me at a Navajo store on a family trip out west when I was about 7 ... if I recall correctly.

MyMarbleBag_FromGranddad_IIRC_zps1614569

My first one was blue-and-white-checked gingham cotton with black shoelace strings, made by my grandmother. My second was store-bought from somewhere, leather panels (four or six?), alternating dark brown and a whitish-gray. I've seen the style but not the colors for sale on ebay occasionally. If I see it in the right colors, it'll be mine again!

Unfortunately, I was born in the wrong era... the mid '80's... So I didn't have a marble bag growing up. But after taking an interest in marble collecting, my grandfather gave me his marble bag and marbles from his childhood. I'm just thankful my great-grandmother kept them all these years! They are from the 1940's.

post-3536-0-12504000-1400549883_thumb.jp

post-3536-0-34515100-1400549959_thumb.jp

well I also had a sock as my marble bag , I also never saw a gift box or as I remember any boxes just the net bags and some in cereal , but it was later as it was just in the mid 50's and was more rural as our roads were still gravel , and yes once a year a truck drove down and sprayed drain oil to keep the dust down . Mike

When I was 6 my mom made a marble bag for me out of moose hide. My dad had been stationed in Alaska in the fifties and many things were made from that moose he shot. I still have the bag somewhere maybe if I can find it I'll post a pic.

Bill

Tan and black suede inside smooth outside I think there were 6 or 8 panels. And I will never forget the little 19C in a circle stamped on the bag. Much like bottom row second in on the right

I recognize that pic :), 6 panels on the bottom row second in on the right. No 19C but I'll take a closer look

I don't believe that we could buy those bags in shops,when i was young.

My grand ma made it for me,but can't remember what it looks like,LOL i think the marbles were more important for me,and of course the game.