Sad News

Plummerme

Ugh..that's really sad news. Clyde was a great man. Such a kind hearted person. We spent many hours together chatting in my room at Amana each year, and I always looked forward to it. Many of us had the privilege of pushing him around at the shows when he would get worn out from hunting marbles all day.

He's finally up and out of that chair. R.I.P buddy.

Just so everyone knows, I had the opportunity to drive to his house last year and took pictures of his collection for the Peltier book me, Mike Johnson and Gino Biffany have been working. Clyde's name will be forever associated with the history of Peltier Glass marble history and collecting.

Sami

I got my indoctrination into marble selling and buying when I first met Clyde at my first marble show in Granada Hills California (2001-2002?).... It was there where he purchased a golden rebel variant of which I sold to him ($80) without knowing really how much the marble was worth (I was a noobie).........As time went on and at every marble show that I would see him, I would ask to see "my baby" where he would proudly pull out his brag box and show it to me........Clyde was an avid Pelt collector and also had the most extensive Champion furnace marble assortment I've ever seen in one collection with at least 17 different samples.......a very knowledgeable and admirable collector and friend.....he will be missed greatly....RIP my friend

In the world of unfairness, this rates up there amongst the highest ever. Dang it will you guys stop croaking please, it saddens my heart to know this kind and brilliant man has left us, Clyde , you will be missed, Rest in Peace my friend,,,, my marble flag will be at half staff for quite a while,,, bj

The thing about clyde (CT)....he would call you on the phone just out of the blue. He would ask about how you are doing, how your family was doing etc. He would not talk about his own issues which pretty much everyone I know does... He actually cared about people. He even sent hand stiched christmas angels his mother made to people.Clyde had an odd taste for marbles. He was a horder but always would seek out the odd ball marbles, the stuff people would over look. For example, when the akro dug hand gathered appeared he made sure to get an example of all of them and would mail out extras to people he knew. Clyde was a true friend, or an example of what a friend should be... no alternative motives, nothing, he was there to talk, or there to celebrate a find. Clyde was never negative and there is something to learn from that despite all of Cyldes health issues, he was never negative. Clyde was a coin collector, and a military watch nut. I bet you anything clyde was looking at his marbles before he passed. Craig said it best.. Clyde is now finally able to get out of that chair.. sometimes bad things happen to good people

That's sad and awful news. Clyde died too young.

He was smart, knowledgeable, kind and always thoughtful. Never heard him complain about his disability, of which he freely talked about, when asked.

For those who would like to know, I'm sure Clyde would not mind me posting parts of an email reply from some 9 years ago:

"My condition is called Engelmann’s disease,
Camurati-Engelmann disease, or Progressive Diaphyseal
Dysplasia which ever you prefer as they are all
correct. It is supposed to be genetic but there are a
few cases as with me that there is no sign of it in my
family. I am the only one in my family that has it. My
brothers have children and they show no signs. It is a
dominant gene, so if I had children it would be 50/50
that they would inherit it. I do not want any child to
go through what I have so I will never have children
of my own. I was the 25th case known in the world and
now there are 150-200 known."

It's a nasty disease,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camurati%E2%80%93Engelmann_disease

Clyde deserves to R.I.P.

Thank you, Hansel. I wanted to know what took him away, but was hesitant to ask. I only knew Clyde electronically . . . but he was a great help to me with my incessant Pelt questions, and I swear he never seemed annoyed by them. (I also have a suspicion that by buying that box of cerises I may have passed some kind of an unspoken Pelthead test as far as Clyde was concerned -- )

I think a LOT of people will miss Clyde . . .

• 3 months later...

I remember a reading in a post, maybe not on this board, where Clyde didn't answer a question right away and catching some flack. When he did, he told of how difficult it was sometime to find the strength to type. When I run across his post I think of this every time and hope he's in a better place.