Post Your Peewees

Steph

Old scan, from two Rosenthal Jumpo Marblo games. ... I forgot I had two. Thought I only had one.

gallery_279_159_145854.jpg

The games which look like this:

post-279-1211500831.jpgpost-279-1211500826.jpg

I got some special peewees recently. Maybe they'll give me motivation to figure out my camera. :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have quite a few peewees of the more common types, but thought we would share these.. in all pictures 1/2" or smaller. had to start with the alleys with aventurine of course..

peewees1.jpg

peewees2.jpg

peewees3.jpg

and check the peewee moonie and the experimental akro. :-)

peewees4.jpg

So many great marbles!

Does anyone remember the post (and author) where it was suggested that

some peewees could be allowed to weigh-in slightly above half an inch?

It included data about manufacturers' size-tolerance figures, and argued

that if a marble maker is in good faith attempting to produce peewee-size

marbles, then those marbles which are larger but also within allowable

manufacturing tolerances can still technically bear the "peewee" designation.

It was brilliant. ( :

Not sure I recall that post, but I seem to recall old packaging labelled peewee which contained marbles larger than 1/2".

I think.

ETA: In 1883 a "peawee" could be as large as "a good-sized marrowfat pea". :)

It seems that the way they sized marbles, #000 would have to fit through a 1/2" hole, so would not be any larger than that, while #00 would be any that would not go through a 1/2" hole but would fit through a 9/16" hole. I thought that was why someone decided peewees had to be 1/2" or less, because it was the smallest sizing hole vintage manufacturers used for toy marbles. There may have been smaller sizes for special commercial applications, but I don't think I have ever seen reference to a #0000 toy marble.

Well I suppose the whole 'peewee' concept really comes down to semantics.

As do all debates and disagreements.

(Every single one of them! Since the beginning of time! Heavy duty stuff if you think about it.)

The way I'm looking at this is that a manufacturer making a run of any given size marble, let's

use 5/8 as a standard example, isn't going to throw away every mib that measures 41/64.

Especially if a large percentage of them come out that way, and even more so if we're

dealing with a huge volume production.

Bat-Cat! :lol:

There needs to be a line drawn when it comes to what "collectors" want a peewee to be. And 1/2" or less is that line. It has been that way for many many years and should remain so. And if you ask the next 100 serious collectors you see what they think, I bet at least 98 agree

There needs to be a line drawn when it comes to what "collectors" want a peewee to be. And 1/2" or less is that line. It has been that way for many many years and should remain so. And if you ask the next 100 serious collectors you see what they think, I bet at least 98 agree

.............. :music-rocker-001: ...................... bill

The way I'm looking at this is that a manufacturer making a run of any given size marble, let's

use 5/8 as a standard example, isn't going to throw away every mib that measures 41/64.

I agree that control of size during production was not that precise but I think your 41/64" mib would sort with the #1s and not the #0s, if they were sorting for size. At least that is how I understand it.

It's an interesting fact.

I think my brain is having a hard time not thinking of a group

of 1/2 marbles as 'averaging' 1/2. No reason they should, I guess.

But it's difficult to think of size designations as 'maximums'.

Unlike you, there's absolutely no doubt that I'm clueless.

Thanks for the info. ( :