Steph

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

My dear departed cat is Facebook friends with Victoria Jackson of Saturday Night Live fame.  

Watching the Season 6 episode of X-Files in which she stars and that made me go check Brother's Facebook account to see if they're still friends.  Sure enough, they are.  

• 2 weeks later...

Glad Castle was cancelled.  No, I didn't hate it.  Just that the story was that if it returned for a new season, Stana Katic wouldn't be there.  And the thought of Castle without Beckett was almost as bad as McMillan & Wife without Wife.  

The evoluation of math teaching: http://www.mathematische-basteleien.de/kartoffeln.htm#Versionen

Oh, how I love this stuff. In the German section there is also this version:

Integrierte Gesamtschule 1999:
Ein Bauer verkauft einen Sack Kartoffeln für 50,-. Die Erzeugerkosten betragen 40,-. Der Gewinn beträgt 10,-. Unterstreiche das Wort "Kartoffeln" und diskutiere mit deinen 15 Mitschülern aus anderen Kulturkreisen darüber. Waffen sind dabei nicht erlaubt.

I try my very best to translate it:

Integrated comprehensive school 1999:

A farmer sells a bag of potatoes for $50. His production costs are $40. His profit is $10. Underline the word "potatoes" and discuss with your 15 foreign class mates. Use of weapons is not allowed.

He did find some marbles I had misplaced.

Maybe I'll decide I have something to post tomorrow.  I'm going to sleep now though.  LOL -- he really did tire me out.  I was more than a little worried about what he might throw away, so I had to tell myself over and over "let it go, it's for the best". :D 

Well.

Me and another stupid 19-year-old on FSU's foreign study program (in Florence) thought we'd be different and go to Greece and then Istanbul and then who knew where, maybe Jerusalem? on our Christmas break, partly because everybody else was going to Paris or London, (how booooring) and partly because we would both be fulfilling a personal fantasy . . . we would take the Orient Express.  So we did.  Got on the Orient Express in Trieste with thousands of migrant Turkish workers and some chickens in wooden cages (this was before the Orient Express had regained its former glory, or some of it, anyway).  Had to stand in the aisle all the way to Zagreb, Yugoslavia.  Got off there to change to another train for Athens and couldn't find it, and our old train was pulling out, so we said "what the hey, we'll go to Turkey first" and jumped back on.  That time we shared an 8-person compartment with 8 very polite Turkish laborers.  Lots of hand signals.  Until about 3 am when the lights went on and there was a military guy (with a red enamel star on his cap, which made the hair on the back of my neck stand up) in the door demanding something, and all our Turkish men were rustling around and presenting papers and passports and stuff.  So we did too.  But he kept yelling at us and we had no clue what he was saying so he left and came back with another similarly-dressed guy who spoke rudimentary English, who then said "Where are your visas??"  We promptly became mouthbreathers.  I remember thinking "Visas??  Visas?  Where the hell are we??"  Well, after we said "No visas," he said -- and I quote, for it was ever after burned into my brain, "If you have no visas you must rest in Bulgaria."  And 2 guys with guns took us off the train.  I remember thinking "Mamma and Daddy will never know what happened to me.  Ever.  A card from Trieste about the Orient Express and then nothing.  Ever again.  And where the hell is Bulgaria??"

Long story short -- we spent about an hour trying to bribe the boss military guy they took us to.  He only wanted German D-marks or American dollars.  We had Yugoslavian and Italian money and American Express travelers checks.  We finally decided to weep piteously to see if that would help and it did.  He took the travelers checks.  And gave us a six-hour visa good from Sofia to the Turkish border.  And told us not to come back.  We said "Alrighty!" and scuttled out of his office to discover that they had held the Orient Express for us.  Oh, fulfillment beyond our wildest dreams.  People were hanging out of the windows of the train clapping and laughing as we stumbled back to it.

That's how my Christmas vacation started that year.  And Bulgaria has held a strange fascination for me ever since.

:rimshot:

What a great story!

It did remind me of those people we hear about on the news now being locked up for years as spies and I say I have no pity on them because they should have known better .... but now I have to have pity on them because you almost was one.  

"boy sprouts" ... reading an old letter from my Dad ... that's what he called those kids who go camping and work on merit badges and stuff ... what a card .... 

• 2 weeks later...