• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

s-l1600.jpg

[email protected]

Yep that was one of my Schoenhuts.............. Humbly the Hippo.

He recently sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162463090271?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

There are still some of my other Schoenhuuts listed on ebay now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=oldwolfe&_blrs=spell_check

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh! 103 would give a nice summer this year. Western germany currently is something that resembles more to autumn than everything else. Maybe the mushrooms are ready to collect ... brrr.

It's more like autumn here, too.

On Wednesday morning we had frost.

And I have my first ever (as an adult) tomato plants waiting here inside until it's safe to go out. I like cold but  I'm impatient to plant my tomatoes.

• 3 weeks later...

Went yardsale-ing.  Picked up some more plants.  Got a lot of advice, including to use peat moss and manure to condition the black dirt I'm hauling in from the compost site.  

So, I got some peat moss and I look online for advice for how to use it.  Such as how much to mix in with the dirt.

And mostly I'm not finding much help.  MOSTLY it looks like the sites are trying to make me feel guilty for having the peat moss because it took thousands of years for the peat bog to grow and there are dwindling supplies. 

I had no idea.  

So now what do I do with this block of peat in my garage?  Can't throw it back.

• 1 month later...

I have tomatoes!  Okay, so they're green and marble-sized.  But I have tomatoes!

And radishes and lettuce and cilantro and basil and strawberries ... so far.  Other things have flowered but no fruit yet.  

Its your joy on those small and simple things like 3 riping tomatos ... enjoy it every day again. It resembles me to my first experience with gardening some years ago: You plant it, you care for it and then you harvest it and you enjoy every stage of what you do.

As time goes by gardening gets more usual to you and the intensity of this special joy might drop. But at least your food gets more healthy.

Oh, and you learn to share it with such poor creatures that have no house not even have a home: slugs

:)

I found a caterpillar on my kohlrabi !  I even touched it !  

And beetles on my marigolds.  

And we have squirrels and gophers and rabbits and several kinds of birds ... and a skunk!  Yes, I'll have to learn to share.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hiya.  :) they came out easily ... I did toss some dry blossoms alongside a fence to see if any start on their own next year.  I'll start a number of these inside.   For fun.  And to get plants earlier next year than I had this year. 

5cc6cb9ba4416d44b4ad014c8d01b1f8.jpg

Yep, I hunt arrowheads in our local creeks. I stumble across fossils all the time. We found a bunch of fossilized rib bones in a creek south of here. The state Paleontologist came and found some plant imprints in the clay. VERY cool. They even sent a college bunch out to study the site. it is an amazing place.

I don't have any of my pictures here at work or I would post some.

We find a lot of sharks teeth too..... FUN.

• 4 months later...