New Member, Old Collection

sarab

Hi,

Just beginning to learn what I have in my collection I've been packing around the last 40 years. The entire old collection was given to me when I was little, and I have no history how old it was back then.

I will post one picture per thread. If you would like to help identify, please do! I'm going to say what I think some are.

Steph has helped steer me in the direction for what some are and for that, I am very greatful.

I will post the entire collection in buy, sell, trade if anyone would like to make an offer, I will consider.

Thank you in advance,

-Sara

Pic 1: corkscrews, W VA swirls, Acme realer

DSCN0330_50pct_zps2996f635.jpg

Top two sections are akro corkscrews. The B/W patches under the corks on the left are peltier peerless patches (PPP) and the translucent ones might be realers. The one by itself in that section with the PPPs might be an akro or something else. To the right of those are more corkscrews. Next section down and to the left is a group of akro popeyes, possibly one that is hybrid. To the right of those are some corks, maybe all. The yellow ones in the bottom left segment look to be mostly pelts with maybe an akro moss agate or two mixed in. The bottom right is a group of West Virginia swirls that look to be most or all Alleys.

Wow, that is so fast! thank you cheese.

Question: see in the blk and wht corkscrew section, top far left? what is that material? it's all grainey and rough, doesn't feel glass like, it feels very rough. is it glass that has been really abused, or is it just some other material?

Then the poor broken little brown Bennington next to it.

You've done such a great job of sorting, Sara, that I almost hate to ask this ...

I will though ... are you sure that one is a corkscrew? Maybe it's just the chips which are making it seem odd but the ribbons don't quite seem corky. I was wondering if it might a Peltier instead.

Thank you for the compliment. Sorting the best I could the last couple of days, but a swirl around an orb is corky to me. However, from what I've learned today, I will be resorting. I'm not sure of too much! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

:)

Some of those corks with the white base look definitely translucent. Some with the more solid-looking white base might possibly show themselves to be translucent if you hold them to a light.

If you can see orange glow in the base of the white-ish ones, then those are Akro Aces. If you can't see fire and it's basically a solid white base, then those are called Akro Prize Names.

(Some of the marbles we will call Prize Names were probably actually sold as Akro Aces but if you can't see the orange then safest not to hope or claim they'e Aces.)

The Prize Name was introduced in 1930 (or possibly late 1929, but I think 1930). That was the beginning of Akro's cork line.

Will look for fire this evening. Thank you! I appreciate the date info you throw in too. No one has said anything about the big white translucent on the far right? I checked it because I had been reading about moonies. Well, it had an orange-ish glow, but I thought that was coming from the pinky-pearly-milky insides. Will fire be like a halo? Or could it be just a bit of glow, intermittent. Maybe I should try and find an on-line picture of an Ace.

No one has said anything about the big white translucent on the far right? I checked it because I had been reading about moonies. Well, it had an orange-ish glow, but I thought that was coming from the pinky-pearly-milky insides.

I'm not sure what to say about the big one. Does that have an iridescent coating? If so, then it looks like maybe another modern marble slipped into the collection.

Edit: From here it looks like the pearly is on the outside -- that's what I mean by iridescent coating.

I'm making a list of what the camera lens will focus on this evening after work. I don't think it is coating.

I just looked at what a hybrid popeye is from mc.com and, the one I think cheese is looking at that is a hybrid, it has a definite red ribbon between the green and yellow and I think the one above it does too.

Is a flash light adequate for back lighting? A 60W reg old lightbulb?

Not sure about ideal backlighting. You mean for checking fire? Or for checking translucence?

I keep saying I want a penlight for backlighting but haven't followed through. I check for fire by looking toward lamp or the overhead light. (But a penlight could help you be more sure about any hints of orange .... I really gotta get one.)

One problem with the notion of hybrid is that sometimes you'll see a band of color which came from two colors blending, not from a separate stream of that color. When glass blends the resulting colors can be different from when paint blends. So yellow and green wouldn't necessarily make yellow-green ... could make brownish. (The definite hybrid for the popeye would be when there was a definite third color and not a blend.) I wanted those two to be hybrids but I'm on the fence right now.

Popeyes are great marbles no matter what.

Lol, ok. :D I am not an authority... I know just enough to be dangerous :D. Anyway... I think this is a point of contention for a lot of akro collectors. I only say I think it's a blend or reaction for 2 reasons. (please don't think I'm being argumental... I just like to discuss this stuff to learn!) One is because if you look at most akros with this type of green and yellow, there is often a thin brown line at the border where they meet, just like there is often a grey or black line where yellow and blue meet. Even in the prize names in the box sets I posted yesterday. If it was a 3rd color, they wouldn't have called them prize names, they would have put them in a box marked specials. In ceramics, glaze is crushed glass powder that is painted on the clay to be melted in the kiln. If you put certain colors together, you get crazy blends like this when they meet. The other reason is that on akro corks with introduced colors, the colors go all the way to the cut line at the end of the ribbon/stream. You can see the stream of that color where it got sheared off and sometimes wiped by the shear or smeared or however you describe it. This picture isn't super clear, but it looks like green and yellow were the only two colors that got sheared, the rest happened in the hot marble. (I think) I would love to know what others think so I can adjust my stance if needed.

I agree with you except for one little technicality. " Even in the prize names in the box sets I posted yesterday. If it was a 3rd color, they wouldn't have called them prize names, they would have put them in a box marked specials."

With the third color added that would have moved the marble from the Prize Name box to the Tri-Color Agate box. But that's a truly tangential topic for another thread.

oh now, the newbie chimes in. if you look at the very last picture, you can see where the green stops, and the yellow and red continue. so wouldn't you expect the 3 to run together if it was a blend? Since 1 color stops, and 2 carry on, maybe no blend between the green and yellow?

You too, Darla. Have a great weekend. :)

oh now, the newbie chimes in. if you look at the very last picture, you can see where the green stops, and the yellow and red continue. so wouldn't you expect the 3 to run together if it was a blend? Since 1 color stops, and 2 carry on, maybe no blend between the green and yellow?

That's a really good question. Two considerations:

1. The green could still be continuing under the yellow.

2. Molten glass is liquid so the blended part could shmear along later after the green stopped, if it stopped.

Sometimes in marbles which have aventurine (a kind of sparkly glass) the sparkle may be primarily coming from one color but it can get distributed across more of the colors. (Now as I say that I almost feel as if I'm making that up but I think the principle applies in the blends.)

Here's the pic for convenient viewing on this page.

DSCN0345_zps344e439e.jpg