Need Help.

Bigc6466

Hmmmm. Still wish I could see more. This pic is only 62 Kb. The size limit is supposed to be somewhere around 450 kb.

Well, okay, let's see. The green one looks like it could be a modern machine-made. (Maybe made in the last 20 years in Mexico.)

The middle one could possibly be a a modern one which was made by hand -- if it is glass.

For the brownish one on the right I think I see some circular motion which is interesting, but I can't see enough to make a guess. Maybe more views might help. (Also, I better double check to see if this one is glass, as opposed to stone.)

It looks like you might have inherited a contemporary collection. "Contemporary" is a name given to art glass marbles made in the last 40 or so years. (I think I have that number roughly right but maybe someone else will correct me.)

I'm not an expert. The name which comes to mind for me with this one is a Snakeskin made by someone name Gibson. Hopefully someone else will come in and confirm or correct.

post-279-0-59609500-1424660520_thumb.jpgpost-279-0-02234100-1424660522_thumb.jpgpost-279-0-30312800-1424660523_thumb.jpg

So those are my guesses for this initial group.

If you have the other marbles in a central location, maybe you could take a picture of the whole group and we could get an idea of whether it's all newer or a mix of old and new. :thup:

p.s., I'm going to move this thread to the main chat area so that more people familiar with contemps might see it ...

I uploaded more of Bigc's pics into an album in the gallery. I'm still a bit punchy from a couple of busy days so I'm just gonna post the album for now and hopefully others will browse it and maybe add some helpful comments.

There's a mixture of old and new, with many common, and maybe some not quite so common.

This photo, for example, has some vintage marbles in it. The middle jar has many Marble Kings in it, which are on the common side but still are classics. (It looks like it may also have some other vintage patches in it.)

gallery_279_366_782016.png

It looks like you might have inherited a contemporary collection. "Contemporary" is a name given to art glass marbles made in the last 40 or so years. (I think I have that number roughly right but maybe someone else will correct me.)

I'm not an expert. The name which comes to mind for me with this one is a Snakeskin made by someone name Gibson. Hopefully someone else will come in and confirm or correct.

attachicon.gifIMG_1935_40pct.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_1936_40pct.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_1940_40pct.jpg

Thats a contemporary Snakeskin.

These are called Benningtons. Well, at least some are. Benningtons are famous for their eyes. You can see two nice ones on the right end of the middle row.

On the top row, the two on the right look like they might not be Benningtons but some other kind of ceramic. Maybe.

gallery_279_366_951110.jpg

I have both of these books -- the yellow book on the left is the first book on marbles as a collectible, dates to sometime in the 1960s, before Paul Baumann's first book came out in the 1970s. The orange one on the right is later, early 1980s, and I think it's the first book on marbles that Everett Grist published. He became well-known in the marble-collecting community.

The reliability of the information in them is questionable these days, and in some cases flat-out wrong, especially in the yellow one. But both are interesting to people who are into marble history. The yellow one [i think the names are Carl Tierson (?) and Murray or Morrison or something else that starts with an M] is particularly hard to find. Or at least it was for me.

post-2163-0-91515000-1424884001_thumb.jp

I wish I had some clear rolling pins. Attractive vintage mix in here -- maybe 1930's to 1960's. Nothing standing out as high dollar but between the rolling pins and the numbers of marbles, there is some monetary value there.

gallery_279_366_866876.png