Carskadden And Gartley's Chapter On Agates

Steph

Yay!

The agate amulets or "olives" (referred to on p.2, paragraph 2, above) were the agate beads that the German cutters at the time were trying to position in the extensive agate bead market / trade network that had been dominated since forever by India and the Near East . . .

Here's some from Afghanistan, cut in India, that you can still get today.

post-2163-0-43132800-1426714655_thumb.jp

This is why I enjoy this site, the depth, discusion, documentation put forth by members is really unmatched elsewhere. The above information is truley fantastic and goes to a level as where there really shouldn't be to many questions remaining about how where and when agate marbles were produced and the process involved, heres a few photos of some vintage agate rings, I would also go into some greater depth about the agates that are from the U.S. not dyed or heat treated, specifically Lake Superior are some of the best found in the U.S. But this is not a Gem and mineral site, so perhaps I'll leave it at that.but will add 2 additional posts just to add some pics of different examples from the above chapter from the book. I would love to show many different angles of the rings all vintage, some great embossing and stamping or etching on the sides, the Art deco in the center is really nice, the (domed) agate is interesting. DB

post-3519-0-20986400-1426779298_thumb.jp

post-3519-0-61869700-1426779392_thumb.jp

Just a little agate story behind the Bolo ties in the photos, The Orange and white banded one is kinda crazy but true, growing up in Illinois the summers were filled with fishing excursions to the rivers or local lakes, I had a good friend whose parents lived on a private lake near Sherrard Ill, his dad had a paddle boat with a cooler in the middle so a few cold beers were always welcome paddling around the lake bass fishing, most of the homes around the lake had either sand or gravel / river rock beaches, One day after a (few) cold ones traveling across a deep section, 25 -30 feet deep 30- 40 yards offshore we noticed that somehow the plug went missing !! oh crap!! the paddle boat started filling rapidly with water, we started paddling like mad men trying to reach the shore before we took on to much water, as we approached the shore maybe 10 - 12 feet away I jumped out in waist deep water and tried quickley to get to the beach so he could throw me the rope to pull the paddle boat in, after a few steps I tripped on a log unseen under the water which put me quickley face down into the gravel on the beach, to my surprise was this fantastic agate right in my face, I grabbed it and said hey man I just found a kick ass agate!! his reply was screw the agate Dave pull in the #%&*@ing boat which I did, half full of water at this point, he was a bit upset actually rather upset, But I had one killer Agate in my pocket which put a smile on my face anyway, years later after moving to Colorado met a gem and mineral friend also a jewler who cabbed the stone and made the 1st bolo tie, the second Tie I purchased the stone at the Denver Gem and Mineral show, Azurite and malachite with some dendritic activity at the top, this stone I had commisioned to a native american to do with his own design which included a small ruby and gold feather.DB.

post-3519-0-27142600-1426781884_thumb.jp

post-3519-0-99890500-1426781896_thumb.jp