Road And Tunnel

a road and tunnel pattern indicates a hand gathered marble. It also indicates the gather is mixed "on the stick" or ponty rather than in a pot like the 9 pattern. You also may be able to tell whether the gathering boy was right or left handed by the direction the road approaches the tunnel.

chris robinson

Chris,

Great to see you!

See you have the "94" in your screen name.

I can't find my R&T pamphlet, so can you clarify the Road & Tunnel dates for me?

Also, was this a common term in the day or did you originate the term and T.M. on your pamphlet?

Sincerely,

John McCormick

"Shamrock Marbles"

P.S. You must be ambidextrous, since I samples from you coming from either direction. ;)

a road and tunnel pattern indicates a hand gathered marble. It also indicates the gather is mixed "on the stick" or ponty rather than in a pot like the 9 pattern. You also may be able to tell whether the gathering boy was right or left handed by the direction the road approaches the tunnel.

chris robinson

Can you explain why this indicates the gather is mixed on the stick and what happens with the glass that forms this reoccurring pattern?

John, thanks for your other answers to my questions and yes, you have helped....didn't want to drag out posts...

The road and tunnels in Johns post were done in the early 1990's. I can't explain exactly how the pattern is created but know my marbles were made by picking up different colored pieces of glass and heating them in a glory hole while spinning the ponty. CAC marbles may have been gathered from a pot but the ponty spun before gobs were cut off onto a rounding machine. The term road and tunnel was used in a pamphlet describing my marbles just because that's what it looked like to me.

I speculate that M.F. Christensen "9" slags were gathered from a pot that was stirred in one direction. The gather would have to be hot enough to drip off the ponty onto the roller without any additional spinning of the ponty thereby retaining the 9 pattern. This would explain the many examples with tails created by dripping very hot glass.

I can't explain exactly how the pattern is created but know my marbles were made by picking up different colored pieces of glass and heating them in a glory hole while spinning the ponty.

So, by picking up different colored pieces of glass (and spinning and heating etc.) you were, in effect, creating the layers of colors we can see?

At this point in time I do not think the CAC R&Ts are handgathered at all. They are a 2 seam marble with a weird twist and a fold but thats all it is IMO. Chris Rs marbles were a neat representation but I never thought they were a real accurate representation oa real good CAC R&T. Could be cause I didn't like the repros at that time, and really still don't