Origin Of Exotics, Cont.

mon

Galen said:
One of the reasons I have tried to just start enjoying them for what the are and leave the technicalities to others.
Very wise,enjoy your marbles,I'm totally agree.

May I ask....why this is so wise? Lots of post or threads here that are "trying to find out what they are" first so, they can be enjoyed for what they are. Now learning has been brought to its knees. I just don't get it........when the going gets tough, the tough just go...hide...surrender....or whatever you want to call it. Can any of you understand that some would like to know "exotics" like you want to know...say..different shearing marks of transitional marbles? Is it not wise for us to want to know what we don't know?

Then it seems that the person who claims to know the answer....won't tell the answer......and some think that just fine...even fall all over him and think he has been wronged. Like I said....I just don't get it! mon

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you all can find it in your hearts to understand my frustration. I'm not here to battle or linch but when those who claim to know and are treated with respect stop playing fair, don't hoist them up and cheer. mon

If there is a wrong to be righted with these Exotics should we not try here with help from everyone?

Mon, Its just me, I get frustrated easier in my old age so I Am trying to look at marbles like I would a nice sculpture or painting. I look at those for their beauty and how they effect me on a more primal level, And I don't worry about what size or type chisels the sculpture used or what kind of brushes or stroke the painter used. Now some folks would think about these things but not I. So I am giving that a try with marbles. Plus, unlike you John Steph Bob Winnie and several others, there are folks here that can not handle discussions in a civilized manner. I am tired of stoking their engines. I may not like this new way for long, we shall see.

Good enough.....I wish you the best.....but I wish you would show the same respect back....at our house we called it an "Eloise Sharp"...she would do something like this..a lot....Boy, wait till you hear what happened to...Oh...I better not say but you won't believe it! Oh I can't tell ya...

You get what I'm trying to say......If you and Craig never said it in the first place...that's ok...but to use it as a proving point and run for the mountains when asked for the details that make it a proving point...sucks to me!

I don't have any other facts or proof of anything. There is no other way to say it. I'm not holding back anything, that's all I know. Galen and I probably don't even know the same version of the story which has been circulated for years. We don't corroborate at night. We are not sitting under a cover with a flashlight telling stories lol. I'm not sure what you are looking for.....

Craig, really....then I'm truly sorry! let me try it this way....you stated that you talk with the finder of the cache almost every day.....Galen stated he meet with them or him. I asked questions in that thread..but let me try again....what is the story this person told you about the find? Did you think to ask anything or did you just talk about the weather? thanks and sorry again for the mix up! mon

C'mon Galen, I don't need to know where Brian got his. I do what to know how they were found. Does this make any sense to any one here? mon

If you insist on saying "believe" am I and others left to think that you know the average rainfall for wv & ohio? YOU SAID YOU TALKED WITH THEM/HIM, BELIEVE IT OR NOT , I did believe you..... you should not believe, you should know! I feel I'm in the twilight zone.....oh no,

This is a copy and paste of what you said in post #27 of the "exotic" thread

Some of us are lucky enough to have spent time with the guys that found them, believe it or not.

Lucky? I think not for I can talk the weather with any joe blow! Please, oh pretty please, explain what eludes me! thanks Galen, mon

Winnie, you are fine.......it's hard sometimes for me to understand..........I don't know why I find the need to post this but I do, and will..

I remember my mother (god rest her soul) telling me

"mon, god has blessed you with the strength to lift a tun and and probably not the mind to ever be able to spell it!" If you ever see your friends picking on the weak, you get in there and do what's right!" Sometimes doing what's rights will appear to be costly but think about the way your father and I look at you now....you may never see that again.lol

For the record, this is Craig's statement in the exotic thread:

I correspond weekly if not daily with the person who found them. I have no question to their validity

Estep said they were dug up at cambridge found in a (barrel) which was full of clay, thats why they are all (perfect) at least that was the story in 2010 maybe it's changed since then :unsure::unsure::blink::blink::icon_popcorn::icon_popcorn: It sure would be nice to hear the whole truth and nothing but the truth, and then there was the sewer repair bit, when the sewer was being repaired they were found in the Pipe, also full of clay mind you, boy those exotics sure like to snugle in the clay, however I do understand the clay bit, digging at Pennsborro after getting through all of the glass shards and other debris alot of marbles were imbeded in 6-9 inches deep of a clay layer, were they all flawless?? not hardly, thats the part that gets me, THEY ARE ALL FLAWLESS and they were DUG MARBLES I just cant see it. DB.

I've dug marbles and with the freezing and thawing of the ground, I find that story hard to believe...read the condition of all the exotics in Craig's photo gallery..all Mint....add to it....why were they put there in the first place? They were not run-of-the-mill then and not now! Back during one of the old exotic threads I called the garage and spoke with a very nice lady that had no dog in this fight, she claimed that there was no such need for a waterline dig going back many years. Also, she painted a great picture of the environment around there.....saying you can hardly scratch the dirt or flip a stone without someone asking what you found. She thought it to be very funny that I could believe such a story from her point of view.

Come on Griff....spit it out.....please?

Correction: I read my post from back then (didn't want to relive but did)...there was a dig but everyone and their brother was all over it. Sorry for posting in error! mon

Well i have stayed quiet on this. But since Griff added a little. I will add some. I am no machine marble maker and i am no torch marble maker and i sure cannot hand gather. But i have been around all of the above for several years now.

Maybe John or someone will know what this note below means ? Do the numbers ahead of the colors indicate a certian color and glass supplier ?

post-91-0-79411000-1427853805_thumb.jpg

post-91-0-95025900-1427853823_thumb.jpg

Ron,

The number may refer to a Cambridge pattern and the color desired.

Here is a link to a Cambridge #632 Pattern Candlestick in Peach-Blo from 1927.

http://www.justglassmall.com/stores/curiocab/items/953960/item953960justglass.html

Could make some tasty peach slags with these. Ya think?

I don't know what pattern #658 would be.

Don't have any Cambridge books in my library and #658 is coming up with nothing on Google.

Just a stretch.

Sincerely,

John McCormick

"Shamrock Marbles"

I was good friends with marble Alan. He would not sell exotics because of the uncertainty associated with their origin. When they first came on the scene, there was A LOT of big money thrown at them. IF the word ever really got out -if- they were fake, someone surely would have lost their life. (not my money or my means btw).