Fabulous Cats Eyes

I do not know. They really are fantastic. I don't think being newer interferes with the value on the best hybrids.

However, I don't know how to differentiate between Anacortes cats eyes and earlier ones.

Agree on the Vitro horseshoe style cat's-eyes but a little (lot!) nicer than the ones found in bags like this.

The only contemporary cat's-eye that I recall (I don't collect contemps) is one Ro Purser did back in the 1974-75 time frame - zaboo had posted the picture some years back.

post-60-0-55906300-1429118700_thumb.jpg

Ro Purser's 1974-75 cat's-eye (in Calif) (Zaboo-10-04).bmp

Ron is right. Not Anacortes but Gladding Vitro before it closed. Anacortes made a lot of horseshoes but not only Vitro plant to make them. I believe formed due to wear on color glass delivery openings on crucible pots they used plus possibly temperature differences that caused the glass to sag in marble. Discussions with Anacortes worker said they never intentionally made them .

Some people believe the horseshoe cat eyes were all made at Anacortes. A few collectors have got upset with me when i say Vitro in Parkersburg made horseshoe cat eyes. The horseshoe cat eyes were first made in Parkersburg WV by Gladding Vitro a few years before closing. Then the same equipment was moved to Anacortes and they also made horseshoe cat eyes. The horseshoe cat eyes followed the cage cat eyes. I think the horseshoe cat eyes were some of the last production by Gladding Vitro in Parkersburg WV. Wear on the colored glass delivery system could very well be a reason for the U shape. Maybe a shorther length stream from the outlet to the shear,and other possibles. Good to know that Anacortes never intentionally made them. That could also be true for Gladding Vitro in Parkersburg.

Thanks Don

• 4 months later...

Here are some of my Parkersburg Gladding-Vitro horseshoe cat bags. They are shooter size marbles - around 7/8" if I remember correctly.

I am partial to the grays and the dark browns w/ black marbles.

Me too. Do you know if the dark orange with black/purplish-gray horseshoe cats are also Parkersburg?