Help Please, Lilac, Yellow, White Flame/swirl?

Mattshaw1953

Hi, I'm still baffled by some of the machine made swirls, I bought this on Ebay, I trawled the web, on and off for maybe a week.

I found an old site, with quite a lot of examples of CAC swirls and Flames, the ribbon shapes and swirls pretty much matched this one.

I can't seem to find much info on this Velliglass factory, did they use the same sort of machines as CAC?

Ps I didn't purchase this as a CAC swirl.

You can probably search the name on this Board but I had copied some info that Winnie had posted in 2011 - here it is:

Veiligglass Marble Co. – Amsterdam – Netherlands

Info from Marble Connection Board – May – December 2011

Posted by Winnie – May 2011

It's true there was a marble company in Amsterdam.

Agood freind,Hans Bartels has looked in his fathers archief and found this newspaper article written by Jaap Stigter in 1959.

In my post "speaking of flames", I already mentioned the possible existence of a factory.

Then I also talked to a fellow who was born and raised in that neighborhood.

He told me he remembered the factory very well, he picked up marbles as a child

Here is a brief translation of the contents of the article.

Dutch marbles roll over the globe.

Born in Amsterdam in glowing colored glass flow.

The marbles roll over into English,French,German,Ethiopian,Australian and Cuban children.

The large German manufacturing has disappeared since the war.

Netherlands has only one marble factory in the Realengracht.

France also has a marble factory.

The Dutch marble factory made each year 50 million marbles in different colors (15mm 17mm),those obtained by mixing metal oxides with glass mass.

10 years ago they started production.

In the beginning,they experimented a lot and the production process amounted to much handwork.

Finally they succeeded with the help of engineers to design their own marble machine.

How is that?

i think they have made swirls....

winnie

I agree with Al -- I think most of the current info we have on Veliglass can be found on this board, mostly thanks to Winnie (thank you again, Winnie!). In addition to searching for Veliglass (try variant spellings, too), you might also want to search using Euro swirls, what they were generally known as before the Amsterdam evidence was found.

I think a few may have been passed off as CAC 4-5 years ago, but I'm not sure how many people bought that. Probably a few, but aside from being "flamey," they don't really look much like CAC flames once you've handled a few of both. To me, some of them (a paler, less busy pattern of flames) more closely resemble a few odd Champions I've run across.

We don't run across them very much over here, unfortunately, but when they do appear they generally get snapped up pretty fast. I try to be one of the snappers -- as do some others here!

post-2163-0-35817100-1432318158_thumb.jp

Ah thanks all, yes I've tried the spelling variants, tried Winnies spelling but to no avail.Id have thought there would have been more info on these as they were exported to GB, I know a production of 50,000,000 a year isn't huge, it's still a fair wack of marbles, even if they only ran for.... Just say a decade?, the only ones I seem to see, which are infrequent anyway, are the White base with Green and Lilac.

The white with green & lilac are the usual ones found over here too. I have one that's white with orange and lilac, but only because I got it from a marble friend in GB who found two, and was tired of listening to me whine & complain about it.

Oh right, you guys like these then?, on UK ebay they crop up rarely, but sometimes they sell as part of a really poor lot for good money!

I assumed they were getting mistaken for CAC, but maybe they were just bid up because they were pretty marbles?, I guesss they were from the late 40,s- early 50's then?, which is why the U.S. didn't inport, as it had its own booming marble productions?

Yep, we like them. Or at least some of us do! I think you're right -- that some people started to value them as pretty marbles in themselves, and started looking for them. Also the older, more complicated wirepulls, which apparently are mostly Veliglass too, and are sometimes found with them. Not over here, much, but over in your neighborhood and Winnie's.

Making it even harder for low-budget types like me to find them!

post-2163-0-55557600-1432323855_thumb.jp

post-2163-0-94977800-1432323880_thumb.jp

Ahhh, madness, I just disregard wirepulls!, I've 100,s , some really odd ones!, I've never thought of them as "real lookers", just marbles that just "exist ", I don't see any individuality in them, therefore little human interaction?, that's the reason I sway towards old hand made's because they have a little energy trapped inside the marble from the maker, that energy can never escape!, hence why some handmade marbles are breathtaking!, a machine can't do that!! IMO.

Well, you can just send all your unwanted wirepulls to me! Especially the odd ones.

I know exactly what you mean about the old handmades, though -- that's how I got started collecting marbles in the first place. I still buy one every now and then.

But I find some of the same "personality" in the nicer machinemades, too, since the process (and the machinery and the glass) can be difficult to control, and random wild variations pop out every now and then. Kind of like the Hand of the Universe stepping reaching in!

post-2163-0-10674700-1432331149_thumb.jp

Soooooo, a simple question?, were Euro swirls sold as CAC's 4-5 years ago, by well known sellers or not?

Simples:- Yes/No?

By well-known sellers? I don't remember that being the case. But then I'm only a small-time consumer of CACs. Galen would know better than me.

There were some German striped Opaques that surface about 15 years ago that were sold by unknowing folks as CACs The so called "Circus Marbles". The Euro swirls are too different in glass to get passed as CACs IMO.

Hi Matt -- Those are a crystal-based run of Dave's Appalachian Swirls (Dave McCullough, formerly of Champion, formerly of JABO) made earlier this year. Glad you like them. I think the wispy white and colorless base really highlight the pretty spectacular colors . . .