Green Tansitional Slag

I expect any Leighton marble (which includes Barberton) to have a melted pontil, and this doesn't.

And I join Steph in first thinking "Japanese" until I saw the rough pontil.

Ummmm . . . just throwin' it out there . . .

Bulgarian Curiosity?

Having just read this

"The first marbles produced in Germany were single pontil slag type that are now referred to as Transitionals. A gob was gathered from a tank that contained a mixture of glass, and then sheared off the punty using Greiner’s marble scissors. This began in about 1850. Many have Regular or Ground Pontils and are black, or dark green, with white. It is generally accepted that “Leighton” Transitionals were produced in Germany. Virtually all “Leighton” Transitionals have come through England, which was the main destination of export from Germany."

Early German ? just saying as I have no idea :unsure:

Galen is on target.

I can accept that. But I don't see the "big spidery cut off." I see a rough pontil. But that may just be my slightly-warped-brain's interpretation.

. . . It is generally accepted that “Leighton” Transitionals were produced in Germany. Virtually all “Leighton” Transitionals have come through England, which was the main destination of export from Germany."

Just to avoid confusion, and there's still plenty of it, everywhere, the above sentence is correct -- but those marbles are not now called "Leighton." At least not by a lot of people. They're usually referred to as German hand-gathered "ground-pontil" marbles -- the marbles formerly known as Prince. Leighton. And the bases are frequently light-colored and transparent.

Those of us who have made the adjustment (and not all have) reserve the term "Leighton" for those American hand-gathered, melted-pontil marbles actually made by or closely associated with J. H. Leighton (Navarre, Barberton, etc.). Lots of them are purple.

And restrict the term "transitional" to marbles that were hand gathered but machine rounded. Still some discussion on that one, I think. But it makes sense.

Although I think a case can be made for calling the earliest hand-gathered slag-type marbles transitionals, too (like the ground-pontil Germans and the American Leightons), as transitioning away from the traditional cane-cut marbles. But then would you have to think of all hand-gathered marbles as transitionals, whether machine-rounded or not? Because they're all eventually to be replaced by machine-mades?

Ugg. Maybe another thread.

Making a long story short = every time you see the term "Leighton" or "transitional," little tiny warning flags should pop up. Find out what those terms mean to the person who's using them . . .

The Japanese transitionals can actually have a smooth surface, small indent big curved rough cut line to a mass of spider web like cold rolls. The color and composition is the dead giveaway on this one. Winnie can verify they came with very varied cut offs

Well, if I turn my head sideways and squint a little . . .

And ignore the peculiarly watery look of the glass in photo #3 . . .

I'll say Japanese too. Interesting color. Is it really that yellow? I'm not seeing it as green. I'd need a touch more green to call it chartreuse . . .

What's the size? Most angles look like "Japanese" construction but expected more of the spidery pontil traits if this were the case. The only thing that would potentially make me think otherwise is the size or actual color. Pictures look yellow but described as green which could be a trick of the light

The color looks good to me for a Japanese slag,they do have all kind of cut off's,although not often it may even be a little rough.

This one is from the Japanese box.

I think it would be nice to start a new thread with German transitionals,cause I really don't know what they look like,except the ones Idans has posted with the ground pontils,they're for me real German slags.

jap.cut-off%20Large_zpsr9aif1o3.jpg

In the original post the second and fourth pic look to be same angle but with the glare is hard to tell

The last pics I agree show a Japanese-style cutoff, but appear to be on a different pole than what's shown in the original post??

Are there two cutoffs (or rough spots) on opposite poles of this marble?