A Blue Ace?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't figure this one out, I can't tell if the blue is affecting the color of the base or not.

I want to say the base is transclucent white base, almost a mooney type base with no color, but you're right, it looks like it's reflecting pinkish on my screen, there are no whispy white filaments running through it,

The blue is a very light blue, remember that color in the crayon box - cornflower blue? That's what it makes me think of.

Looks like one which I would call a Moss Agate.

But I'm going to guess that your fellow Akro collectors will agree upon calling it an Ace.

If it has fire inside then maybe it's a true Akro company Ace, but that's a strange color for a true Ace.

Odd.

But nice odd.

I thought the akro moss agates were patches. I would say it's an ace

Akro sold both patches and swirly/corky marbles under the Moss Agate name.

What Akro called Aces is different from what most collectors call Aces. And this does look like what people would call an Ace.

With no opalescence?

Who is the question to? Jess about whether there is opalescence? ... or me about finally capitulating and agreeing to the name "Ace" in spite of lack of opalescence?

In my mind I'm still calling it a moss agate. But it looks like what others call an Ace so if you can't beat 'em ...

:lol::lol::lol:

You, agreeing to call it an Ace with no opalescence! Peacemaker. :angry:

I'll stay over in my cranky corner and say if it ain't opalescent it ain't an Ace.

So there.

I still wouldn't mind having that marble . . .

And I'm gonna have to make an effort to learn something about moss agates, I can tell . . .

:lol::lol::lol:

You, agreeing to call it an Ace with no opalescence! Peacemaker. :angry:

I'll stay over in my cranky corner and say if it ain't opalescent it ain't an Ace.

So there.

I still wouldn't mind having that marble . . .

And I'm gonna have to make an effort to learn something about moss agates, I can tell . . .

Me too call it an Ace or Moss agate,even with no opalescence.

I think Aces are translucent with a milky base and don't need to be opaal,might be they're sometimes?

Here are some of mine,of which i think are Aces,although the milk looks watery.

aces%20Large_zpsg4cjuqr5.jpg

Those are gorgeous Winnie, especially that eggyolk shooter and the two color patch! And the green and white patch, okay! all of them :lol:

Bumblebee, I would LOVE to see that opalescent and orange corkscrew, I only have one opalescent corkscrew, it's yellow.

Hmm, I'm not certain that's a limeade, I've always pictured limeades with the yellowish lemonade looking base with green and wispy white running through it?

akro33.jpg

It looks like your's fits Alan's definition though: "Ade" corkscrews are identified by their base glass of translucent off-white mixed with wispy opaque white.

I could be wrong there, hopefully someone who is more knowledgable with names/definitions will chime in here.

I'd go with "eggyolk" on the blue one.

Maybe more than average white in with it. Still looks like what collectors call "Ace". Not Ade.

The smaller three may not be moss agate family. The two yellow patches look like they could turn out to be Peltier. And the yellow and green could be something else like a tri-color agate instead of a moss.

aces%20Large_zpsg4cjuqr5.jpg

why don't you try calling it a translucent cork?. yes! an ACE has to be opalescent. period. Moss swirls are not corks either. and if you're an akro collector, you won't call a translucent corkscrew and ace. and yes that's a limeade. :-)

I understand the appeal of calling it an Ace.

Ace is such a catchy name.

Back in the old days, "Moss Agate" actually meant something special, but now people think Moss Agates are "just patches".

And the desire for a spiffy name remains.

So I understand why Ace caught on and why it sticks.

Thanks Dani and Steph,

Maybe it's me but I do understand less and less about Moss agate and Ace.

Steph,there's a good thread archived on this?

This is what marbleAlan said about it:Aces,which have a translucent milky white base with a colored spiral.