CA cullet

VTAndrea

Jon,

The "Second Run" Peltier marbles were made without authorization in April of 2002, by Terry Zellers, the Peltier batch man. They were a single stream marble, made by throwing handfulls of "gems", marble sized globs of flattened glass, into a tank of clear glass. The resulting marbles were clear with strands of white,green,blue,red and/or yellow. The ones with red,yellow,and/or deep cobalt are the most scarce. The red was not compatible, and many of these have fractures. I believe there were about 5000 marbles total in the entire run, depending on how many buckets Terry snuck out the back. I may have been there during the run, but I can't say for sure, 'cause of the evil weed.

In 2004, due to my persistant nagging, I was permitted to make some special boxes with the remaining marbles. I made ten boxes of 28 marbles, and four investor-size boxes with 112 marbles, one unique blues-and-greens box for a cool guy I almost met once, plus the original prototype. Very few were sold, and the owner decided to keep the rest.

So, there you are.

mike b.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howgoestheenemy
and as frustrating as it is not to have answers, i don't believe that just because i'm a collector that i am entitled to that information.

I'd have to say I agree.

Hello PlanB. I don't think someone with "1st hand" info on their authenticity would be able to provide the level of information to satisfy the marble community, without revealing more than they would want to reveal. If you stop short of full disclosure, than it's just another 2nd or 3rd hand unverifiable story.

What about confirming that the glass color and type in these exotics are consistent with known examples of CAC mibs? 4 or 5 years ago, I think it was Alan's board that had a thread going, discussing the documentation of the CAC color pallet. It would not rule out cullet reprocessing but employing the appropriate non-destructive testing to confirm the colors and glass composition would at least confirm if the glass was right. Maybe down the road, the collective marble community would be interested in supporting (funding) the ability for say, the National Marble Museum, to undergo such an effort.

Chris, I respectfully disagree. I believe you ARE entitled to this information. You, and many others like you, ARE the marble hobby and you are not separate from the Exotic owners.

What is good for you is also good for the others, and vice versa. A member of ANY hobby, would like to avoid the problem of walking a constant minefield of fakes mixed in with authentics.

planB, i used to feel very strongly the same way you do. i see my own place in "the hobby" in the way you describe. but i've come to realize that my vision was narrow. i guess i AM part of the hobby, but that's because i've chosen to be, and i've defined "the hobby" in a way that includes me.

however, there are others who define "the hobby" in different ways. there are probably thousands of people who collect marbles who don't know we exist, and who experience "the hobby" in as many different ways. for me to impose my views onto them, and to create expectations by which others should conduct themselves is - in my view - immature and self-centered.

please don't think i'm calling you immature and self-centered. i'm speaking for myself only, and i'm just saying that as a 'young' collector, i held this view that we were all in it together, and we had an obligation to each other. i now see that as an individual choice that i can only apply to myself.

~chris

Firstly, let me say that the possibility of these "exotics" being fake is, to me, totally irrelevant. I don't collect Christensens, or any other high-end marbles for that matter, so I have nothing at risk in a monetary sense.

The only reason for my posts is my attempt to overcome, in a very minor way, more dishonesty. As the prices of marbles have risen, it has attracted the inevitable con artist. How many Ebay listings are now nothing more than an attempt at misrepresentation? New marbles as vintage, damaged as mint, common as rare, contemp's as vintage, seeding a larger lot, making up dumb stories about provenance, and plenty of disclaimers, are just some of the ploys to get something for nothing. Unfortunately, this is common in all areas of society.

I may be in the minority on this, but it's taken some of the joy out of collecting. Instead of marveling at the beauty of an "Exotic", all I see is the scramble for maintaining and increasing price. For me, that is a major disappointment.

And he has been using the Exotic label in the hopes of getting more $. He has been calling anything that is colorful Exotic for a while now. Too bad. The Exotic label is worthless anyway as it is now being used for many different types of CACs. Or fakes if that is what you believe. Peace,Galen

Guest scottpatrick

id say maybe you should stick to id ing 50 cent peltier marbles..its pretty obvious here that provenance aint gonna happen..i could see someone naming their source and a bunch of petties from this board calling them at 3am with call block on threatening their wives, girlfriends or children...just my opinion..countdown to new philly

• 10 months later...

well it looks like we might just find out the exotic truth after all.

I have just been informed (by an e-z board registered user) that a well traveled gum shoe from the Chicago area, Mr. Tom Reed (the man who pooped peltiers) is on the case as I speak.

I sure hope he can get to the bottom of this (no pun intended).

• 3 months later...