Mist Swirl ?

Hi: Need help with this one as well. I believe it is a German Hand-Made Mist Swirl, but, not 100% certain. The marble is Cased and measures 1 7/16" in diameter. In addition to the 2 sets of bands, it has numerous strands of translucent cobalt blue color at the same level as the 2 bands. In the center is a ghost core comprised of many tiny air bubbles. Here are 3 pictures, all backlit so you can see the translucent strands. Thanks, Bob.

post-2934-0-35238300-1436282683_thumb.jp

To the best of my understanding that would be a mist.

Now that I've said yes, maybe that will get someone out of the woodwork to explain how it is not. But it sure looks like one to me.

Very hard to tell from pics, but it looks like it might be. I'm not used to the color of a mist marble being described as strands. It's usually more like a thin wash of color. In hand, does it look like the interior glass (not counting a core) is colorless, and the blue is more-or-less like a "veil" of color just on the exterior?

If not, it wouldn't be a "mist." At least as I understand it. It's also far darker than mists that I've seen.

I don't know of any cased mist marbles but that's not saying much, since it's not a type I collected when I was in my Old German frenzy. Mainly because I never ran across one, I admit. Some of them have mica added, which is what I was really looking for.

If the color is really strands, maybe it's a banded transparent. They're sometimes cased. In one of the last pics, it looks like the blue is "shrunken."

Very strange. But what a nice "jelly" type blue.

Maybe some of the "antiques only" people will know better, if we can root them out . . .

Dan, what do you think?

Hi Ann: In hand, interior glass is clear transparent with a ghost type core and many,tiny, tiny air bubbles, and, as a result, interior of marble sparkles/lights up when backlit. Surrounding the core, and, just under the surface are the 2 visible bands and numerous thin cobalt blue translucent type ribbons/strands of varying thin widths, and, they run from pole to pole. They create a dark blue "veil" like wrap around the core. The "veil" is not clearly visible unless marble is held up to a light or it is backlit. Also, marble may not be "cased", however, it has an uneven thickness of very clear ( no air bubbles ) glass surrounding the entire marble and that is why it appears to have a shrunken core. Hopefully this helps with identification. Bob.

Gonna change my mind on this one. Mists have separate wispy, transparent bands under the surface. The bands are a light color, normally blue, creating a "mist" look. Hope that makes some sense.

I would call yours a banded transparent.

thanks