Brain Twister(S)

Hoody

:o Schadenfreude is an english word? It sounds so german.

Okay, but I think there is no direct counterpart and to express you feel bad about having schadenfreude you might have ein schlechtes Gewissen. "Your spitefulness gnaws at your conscience" could be a translation. Or you are just sorry for being schadenfroh. ;)

However, its getting x-mas soon ...

Season's Greetings

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one made me think of you, Hoody:

It was prompted by the news of the upcoming christening of Prince Louis of England.

"Louis" has a silent 'e'.  Lou-ee.  

But since "Louis" ends in 's', we don't put a new 's' after the apostrophe.

So now we have "Prince Louis' christening" and how to do we pronounce it?

The 's' before the apostrophe is still silent, but now we pronounce a nonexistent 's' after the apostrophe.

• 1 month later...

That is the drawback of non-english (non-american) names. Louis, as you already know, is what I consider a French name: "Le baptême de Louis" just does not need the apostroph and works fine; okay, at least in France, French oversea departments, parts of Canada, ...

On 6/20/2018 at 11:17 PM, Steph said:

"Louis" has a silent 'e'.  Lou-ee.

I think here is the issue. "Louis" does not have a silent 'e' but a silent 's'. Now you add the apostroph and the French silent 's' gets pronounced due to english pronounciation habits.
How about "The christening of prince Louis"? This keeps the silent 's'.

And hey, in the german area where I live the ladies' names are leaded by a non-written but spoken 's'. Its just s'Barbara, s'Gertrud and so on if people do their gossip. What I still have to find out is how the native inhabitants pronounce this when the ladie's name starts with an 'S' already: s'Steph? I bet there is an exception to the rule.

I don't know why I said "silent 'e'".  That doesn't make sense at all.   Don't know what I was thinking.  Probably I meant silent 's'.  But who knows.  

And hey, in the german area where I live the ladies' names are leaded by a non-written but spoken 's'. Its just s'Barbara, s'Gertrud and so on if people do their gossip. What I still have to find out is how the native inhabitants pronounce this when the ladie's name starts with an 'S' already: s'Steph? I bet there is an exception to the rule.

Ha!  let me know when you find out.

s'Sincerely,

s'Steph

• 4 weeks later...

I need to come back to this plain old one.

On 10/19/2015 at 7:00 AM, Hoody said:

[...]

:unsure: Why do people need to make an appointment before visiting a clairvoyant?

On 10/19/2015 at 4:00 PM, Steph said:

lol

Sorry, that one has an answer -- Coz the best clairvoyants will have lots of clients trying to see them, so clients need to know when it's their turn. :P

Hm, all this time passed and everything was alright. But yesterday - and please do not ask me why - Steph's answer creeped back in my mind and twisted it again:

Objection, you will *not* need to make an appointment. The clairvoyant - at least a real one - will know that you will visit her / him. Steph's argument seems to be right at the first, second and third glance but I think now the clairvoyant should be able to send you a schedule without your application - and since (s)he is a clairvoyant (s)he really knows when its your best time for you to visit. So its just you to receive the invitation, matching perfectly your calendar schedules, without you actively making an appointment. So I am again wondering why people need to make an appointment before visiting a clairvoyant. Just wait for your invitation ...

They won't believe the clairvoyant who just sends them an appointment.

Before they can get help with their problem they need to show they're ready to get help by going through the steps of seeking out the clairvoyant.

:P :lol2:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry! You're right!  I'm wrong! I'm naughty.

The best clairvoyants will just call you to make an appointment, and since they know they're such high demand, they will have staff to call the people they can't see, so that the people they can't see won't languish in doubt and can go seek help in other venues! 

Right?  :D