This Single Seam

J_Ding

0.58." It matches some single seam early machines I've seen. Is this one of them? Akro or CAC? Or something else? Let's discuss. I like this one, despite being dinged, and not flashy in color. I don't require flashy in color (it's nice, but not required) John

post-3757-0-63893800-1445639971_thumb.jp

post-3757-0-87172800-1445639973_thumb.jp

post-3757-0-10171100-1445639976_thumb.jp

post-3757-0-64864400-1445639982_thumb.jp

Well, I got it under my microscope, and I only see one seam. The actually seam is straight and shortish and arcing, and the turns up and down are cold rolls/folds..louping off the seam. The glass turns around the whole marble and meets neatly at the seam. If there were two, they are in the same place. Just what I'm seeing, for what its worth. Thanks! John

After a good night's rest,I think,I understand what Galen means by "folded up 2 seam slag".

Is it:the second seam is below the visible seam,or am I completely wrong?

What do you think about this one,I've found it in Holland,it has 1 seam.

g.slag%20Medium_zpsrzegebls.jpg

Yes Winnie,that looks like one. I believe on a rare occasion 2 seam marbles get foded it such a way that one seam gets hidden under the other. They do not look like the simple cutline one should find on a single seam marble.( which should be handgathered marbles??) Like the one you show they appear more like the glass is pulled over the top of the other seam.

Thanks everyone. I still see no evidence of one beneath the other, and but I'm not trying to make this one a single seam. I just want to understand. And I really, really don't see how this could be MFC...if it is, I don't have another with quite these glass characteristics in the least. John

Apologies, not trying to poke, trying to learn. I think that that color is more yellow-ish than amber...I guess the picture is not as bright yellow when back-lit with a flash (I'll try this later), and seems a little off from my experience. Experience is all that I have.

All MFCs are hand gathered marbles and 99.9 percent of them have a 9 or similar pattern usually with a tail and a simple cutline. I see none of those characteristics in this marble. But I certainly am only guessing at what I feel it is. I am not positive at all. I wonder what this marble would look like if bith cutoffs would have been hidden in the fold

akro_fold.jpg

Galen,

Your percentage for '9' and tail is way off. Please expand how you came up with such a high number. There are many MFC marbles that do not have a '9'. Also the color is exact match to MFC slags. Another creative supposition is a cut line on a cut line. I do not see a connection to the original marble to the last Akro folded reject cork.

Sami

Just going by the book about MFCs. And every box of MFCs I have ever seen. They were all handgathered in the same method they made their opaque types. American Cornelians(Oxbloods), Persian Turquoise, Oriental Jade, Imperial Jade . These all almost always exhibit a nine and a tail just as their Onyx marbles(slags) do. A nine and a tail has been used to describe MFC marbles as long as I can remember and it is one of the more accurate descriptions of a marble companies marbles. I have Cohills book if you want to read it. MFC never made a marble that was not handgathered, unlike CAC Akro and Peltier that eventually stopped handgathering and used gob feeders. I feel my 999 out of 1000 showing the handgathering pattern is not too exaggerated.

I was just using the Akro as an example of things that can happen.

Monkey wrench time!

How about an accidentally single-seam Japanese marble?

Or an accidentally single-seam Pelt Rainbo?

What kind of marbles did it come with, John?

Sometimes I'm sure, but this one I am not positive...I think it slipped through an initial sort of several really nice lots of hoarded, unsorted mibs. If it was what I think, there was a bit of everything in there: American transitionals, MFCs and other slags and nice corks and other goodies; very good diversity. But I've also found some nice jars recently, and it could have been found there too.

Just going by the book about MFCs. And every box of MFCs I have ever seen. They were all handgathered in the same method they made their opaque types. American Cornelians(Oxbloods), Persian Turquoise, Oriental Jade, Imperial Jade . These all almost always exhibit a nine and a tail just as their Onyx marbles(slags) do. A nine and a tail has been used to describe MFC marbles as long as I can remember and it is one of the more accurate descriptions of a marble companies marbles. I have Cohills book if you want to read it. MFC never made a marble that was not handgathered, unlike CAC Akro and Peltier that eventually stopped handgathering and used gob feeders. I feel my 999 out of 1000 showing the handgathering pattern is not too exaggerated.

I was just using the Akro as an example of things that can happen.

I have Cohill too, and I agree. I just can't get MFC from this marble, that's all. I hope to take some pictures of this one again, differently, to give a better sense of the glass and its general features. I wonder, did MFC make a more yellow than amber glass? I don't recall if Cohill mentions it. I also think that post #18 might have a point to consider: Not American. I appreciate seeing all the ideas on this mib. John