Vintage Audio Equipment Forum Recommendations

I'llhavethat1

Ha! I love this question!

I'm not as 'serious' about this stuff as I used to be.

But I'm still willing to tell my younger friends that the mp3 format stinks.

They don't want to hear it.

Before one even thinks about high-quality sound reproduction equipment, you have

to have a top-notch original recording. I don't think most people today understand this idea.

My fantasy stereo system involves what I, for decades now, have called "The Mac Stack"!

This would be two of the old higher-powered Macintosh monaural tube amps, coupled with

their equalizer of the time, which I think had five traditional adjustment knobs.

I did once own my ultimate turntable of choice, which was the Bang and Olufsen model with

the 'tangential' arm and their 'top of the line' cartridge. You could plug this thing into anyone's

mediocre stereo system and immediately hear a clear improvement.

Speakers! I don't care what anyone thinks. You can accept all the high-tech crap that modern

manufacturers tell you, but I don't think you'll do much better than an old pair of 'K-Horns'!

Thanks for bringing this subject up! It makes me happy! :)

I think I remember those. They were good units to have.

Many people didn't and still don't realize that having high-wattage

hardly ever 'blows up' your speakers. This usually happens when

you have a lower watt amp or receiver and turn the volume up too

high, forcing it to distort the signal.

Well nuts! I was hoping you were considering being a new owner of older stuff.

Or just wanted to chat about it!

That's okay. I'm going to keep talking anyway.

Glad you found the new owners, though!

Galen, I remember Yamaha speakers fondly. They were beautiful.

And they all had the same terrific smooth neutral sound, whether you went for the

little 'bookshelves' or big fancy ones. Only difference was potential dB output.

Which I guess is to say the number of neighbors you could 'share' them with! :lol:

Don't worry, still a couple pieces we can chat about.

Like this ol' blister, might just keep it and clean it up some. Maybe start with the electrical cord?

3de827c9-37e0-44e5-9ce1-88ef1c49dac4_zps

The stories I've heard about tube amps and capacitors are a bit shocking as well :) (more along the lines what I was looking for input on.)

The stories I've heard about tube amps and capacitors are a bit shocking as well :) (more along the lines what I was looking for input on.)

Would you like to share some of those shocking stories with us?

If it something about technical stuff maybe we can confirm or rule it out?

Well the 'shocking' joke was in reference to the capacitors in Tube amps can zap you, even when powered down/unplugged. One of the output channels on my receiver/tube amp isn't working and I wonder if it's worth poking around (with my limited electrical knowledge), take it to a professional, or sell as-is.

Since i hold most of the Marble Connection members in high regard, figured if one of them was also a member (or knew of) a good vintage audio forum it would save me some trial and error. Kind of like if I were a member on a car forum (or whatever) and somebody asked me about a good marble site I'd send them here :)

Well the 'shocking' joke was in reference to the capacitors in Tube amps can zap you, even when powered down/unplugged. One of the output channels on my receiver/tube amp isn't working and I wonder if it's worth poking around (with my limited electrical knowledge), take it to a professional, or sell as-is.

Since i hold most of the Marble Connection members in high regard, figured if one of them was also a member (or knew of) a good vintage audio forum it would save me some trial and error. Kind of like if I were a member on a car forum (or whatever) and somebody asked me about a good marble site I'd send them here :)

The problem with the "zap" is that it is no joke. It really can kill you if things go worse. Some circuits (maybe not yours) are working with DC voltage as high as 200V and capacitors might keep their initial charge for hours after powering off.

With limited electrical knowledge it is a hard and dangerous thing to fix a non working tube amp. But since you wrote of "one of the channels" I suppose it is a stereo amp and so you have a reference for checking, at least the power supply section seems to be all-right. The problem can be anything from a broken solder connection (but looking okay when inspecting it visually) to damaged tubes. Maybe it is just a resistor that fails with "open mode" - giving inifinite read on an ohm meter. I think it is not possible to guide you remotely through a debugging session without having any common understanding. A schematic is a need for getting started anyway.

What I think you can do yourself is to check all the wiring, maybe just a wire has left its terminal. If so solder it back into place and try it. But please take care that the amp has been powered down for at least 24 hours before you inspect it from its inside due to the risk for getting "zapped". And DISCONNECT IT FROM MAINS BEFORE EVEN OPENING THE CASING!!!

Sounds like good advice!

There was a time, many many years ago, when I was going to begin an 'electrician's apprentice' program.

Then one morning I woke up and the first thing that popped into my head was "I'm very uncomfortable

climbing up ladders. And electricity scares the hell out of me." So much for that. D'oh! :eusa_doh: