New And Need To Learn

fentonacres

Several years ago I inherited my grandfather's marbles. He lived in West Virginia so I assume what I have is what could be obtained there. My father was born in 1917. So I can only guess that most of what I have was obtained between the turn of the century and, say, 1950 (grandpa died around 1953 I believe).

They were all kept in a large, metal, box but some time back I spent a few days trying to sort them according to colore, style, etc. as best I could. Some I have dozens... others, just a few.

I am in the process of photographing some of them (I have a macro lens) and learning about them. So that is why I am here.

I am "retired" and hubby is retiring and we will soon relocate in Oregon. I am sure I will have plenty of cold winter days to enjoy the collection and maybe even sell off some to adoring collectors.

I have posted photos of the marbles to my photography website for ease of viewing.

http://www.carolinefentonphotography.com/Albums/FENTON-MARBLES/

post-3830-0-45351200-1452523553_thumb.jp

post-3830-0-49699700-1452523556_thumb.jp

post-3830-0-99218600-1452523558_thumb.jp

post-3830-0-47828200-1452523561_thumb.jp

post-3830-0-83900300-1452523566_thumb.jp

Hi Caroline. Welcome aboard.

You're correct about the dating of the marbles. Turn of the century (with maybe some from the 1800's) into the 1950's.

Plus one probably from the 1960's and one group I can't place at all -- might have thought modern if they were standing alone but since they're in such an old group, I'll be very interested in seeing more views of them. (Those are the black and oranges which come up as lot #2 for me.)

Those stone aggies have seen some marble battles!

A very nice inheritance. :)

One group per thread in the ID forum would be the way to go for us to give you more specifics about your treasures.

Yep, as time permits I will probably post threads "one group" at a time... in small groups.

And you are probably right about "late 1800s." Some of these may have even been passed down from my great grandfather. I say that because I also inherited a collection of arrowheads from the same vicinity - they are in such nice condition that I am sure they were found before farming and field work changed, etc.

Welcome aboard! :)

Please forgive me for immediately addressing the 'need to learn' part of your title.

I frequently 'push the boundaries' here with my photos, because it's my nature to

do things with a sort of 'artistic' approach.

This can be a great thing on occasion, but for many situations it just doesn't work.

Your photos, both those directly posted and the ones in links, have a very limited 'focus'.

In the long run, this doesn't work well. There's no need to post 'groups' of marbles

where one marble's in focus and the rest are a blur. Similarly, a photo of a single

marble should usually be 'entirely' in focus and not just have one small part of it or

only the tablecloth background clearly visible.

Again, please forgive me if I sound negative. It's only because you're one of the few

'newbies' who sound like a genuinely and thoroughly nice person that I wanted to give

my 'no doubt sometimes questionable' advice! :lol:

Welcome aboard! :)

Please forgive me for immediately addressing the 'need to learn' part of your title.

I frequently 'push the boundaries' here with my photos, because it's my nature to

do things with a sort of 'artistic' approach.

This can be a great thing on occasion, but for many situations it just doesn't work.

Your photos, both those directly posted and the ones in links, have a very limited 'focus'.

In the long run, this doesn't work well. There's no need to post 'groups' of marbles

where one marble's in focus and the rest are a blur. Similarly, a photo of a single

marble should usually be 'entirely' in focus and not just have one small part of it or

only the tablecloth background clearly visible.

Again, please forgive me if I sound negative. It's only because you're one of the few

'newbies' who sound like a genuinely and thoroughly nice person that I wanted to give

my 'no doubt sometimes questionable' advice! :lol:

No worries. I am a professional (dog, horse, stuff) photographer... and I use a macro lens (f2.8... SHORT depth of field). As time goes on I will probably focus on 1-4 marbles at a time, but with multiple shots per marble(s). I am only getting a "feel" for what I have and am working on my "studio." :) Thanks for the advice. Hey... joining any new message group is a bit like being fed to wolves. I can handle it.

Thanks very much for being so understanding!

I like to think that my friends here understand that my personal situation is such that

just waking up in the morning frequently feels like a 'being fed to wolves' situation.

But I also like to think that my comments can be taken in a 'food for thought' way, even

when they're 'open for debate'! ( :

Yes, Steve. I am having a blast. There are quite a few fun things in my great-grand thru father's history... from marbles to arrowheads... and I have a whole collection of letters and other material from the time my father was a P.O.W. in Germany in WWII. I have traced my father's lineage back... I have a lovely collection of arrowheads and now I can spend many many many hours learning about marbles and sharing with you all here.

Sorry, Steve! You sound pretty AOK too! :lol:

I don't look at this section very often anymore.

Got a little 'jaded' after 'welcoming' many people who wound up abruptly

disappearing after getting the information they sought. Which usually

involved the 'value' of their marbles and how best to sell them.

Of course it's great to have a 'newbie' who actually enjoys

marbles and everything that goes on here! ( :

Well... while I may one day "sell off" some marbles, I want it to only be to someone like the folks here who may actually say... "hey, I want that." Otherwise... I will be enjoying looking at them and learning about them.

Especially since they are family heirlooms. Just holding them holds history. I know that sounds corny but I am a woman.