Pelt Question: Which Color Combinations Get The Name Sunset?

Steph

Personally I love marble names in fact I even give some of my Pelts names but I don't usually unleash them on the public B) however I do think that there should be a visible connection between the name and the marble.  these are of what I consider to be a classic Sunset and some Sunsets in various stages of burntness.

P1250399.JPG

P1250401.JPG

P1250403.JPG

P1250405.JPG

P1250407.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, EdNargel said:

. . . I do think that there should be a visible connection between the name and the marble . . .

^^^ That there.

No green Sunsets.

None.

Line in the sand.  :pirate:

Ed, ". . . various stages of burntness" - that's funny! Any chance your top one is Kokomo?

And just so nobody thinks I invented the idea of green Sunsets . . .

From AM-MM, p. 133: "Sunsets are those Rainbos with a transparent base sometimes sparkling with air bubbles - with red, orange, yellow, white or green ribbons. Sometimes the colors are reversed."

hmmmmm . . .

Ric494_zpsxb9a8yoq.jpg

Ric496_zpsgogspj8s.jpg

Ric497_zpsgjlb5mtd.jpg

I won't argue, but I have some blue sunsets, and it don't seem so strange to me, considering that most of the marbles shown in the recent "Akro or Peltier" thread by loanminnow, were the ones called Sunsets by Peltier... 

2 hours ago, migbar said:

I won't argue, but I have some blue sunsets, and it don't seem so strange to me, considering that most of the marbles shown in the recent "Akro or Peltier" thread by loanminnow, were the ones called Sunsets by Peltier... 

The idea of a blue sunset is very appealing to me. I am not sure I've seen one. Of course, blue fizz are a dime a dozen. lol

I wonder if folks knew that when the colloquial definition of "Sunset" was proposed. I am just now learning about the company name . . . so thanks for that! And you're killing me with this blue sunset thing . . . are you talking about BGs now or more like blue and white ribbons in a transparent base?

Okee doakee.  Let's forget, for the time being, the NLRs labeled Sunsets by Peltier in that nice nice box.  Let's just think about the marbles that collectors call Sunsets.  You know the ones I mean.

Why do you think the name "sunset" was chosen for that particular marble?  Keeping in mind that most collector names for Pelts are color-combination names?

Because it was blue?  Because it was green?  I don't think so.

Maybe some collectors, for some reason, have tried to expand it into a "type" that's construction-based instead of color-based, but that's another issue.  To me, anyway.  If you want to define that type by construction I would suggest another name -- not a color-oriented one -- be used.

We could have a naming contest.   :lol2:  Except for Galen, of course.

But mainly, after waiting so long for a green fizz to come to my house, I ain't callin' it no Sunset.

green fizz 1.jpg

Ooohh, nice and fizzly - great marble. I want a blue one - with AV, of course.

I understand your argument, Ann. Although, I am not sure trying to define the colors of an actual sunset is the way to go.

And super boxes there Mr. Plummer!

I'd like a blue fizz myself!

That Pelt called NLRs "Sunsets" (at least early on?) was a new one on me, too.  Are there any more "Sunset" boxes containing marbles other than NLRs?  Or NLR boxes labeled as such but without the "Sunset" stamp?

Being box lite myself (except for my beloved Cerises) . . .

Ann, very well said. I do have a few "Green Fizzes" so e-mail me and we can talk about one for you. "Blue Fizz" so far (notta), one i have yet to find and for it to meet my criteria, it may be impossible, (UNLESS) someone can show an example. It has to (HAVE) a blue transparent ribbon in it, but that is for me. Thinking about this, i do have a amber transparent ribboned one that i classify as in the "Fizz" family and also (i think) a purple one. They also have to have some florescent to them. Being placed into the "Sunset" family, let whomever choose what they may.  Chuck G--

For those of you that would hope that a marble called a Sunset should have the plausible colors seen during a Sunset (which seems like a reasonable argument for sure), if it isn't there then it shouldn't be, and so green and blue should be out of the Sunset group, But, I'll point out the two optical phenomenon sometimes seen for a second or so at sun-up and sun-down known as the green flash and blue flash...the blue flash is much much rarer but the green is rare too.  I might be splitting hairs (LOL, I really am) because it is such a brief event, but there it is!   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_flash  John

On 8/15/2016 at 7:55 PM, Chuck G said:

Steph, this could get into a (huge) discussion. So many collectors have their (opinions) on this family type and it may run into many many directions. "Sunsets" are a generalized family type to describe an overall group set by most collectors to fall into a certain described marble. So, to start, is it still a "Sunset" if the base is a colored transparent base? Do "Sunsets" all have outer vaneered ribbons or internal ribbons or both? Does a "Clear K&M" or "Clear Clown" still be classified as "Sunset"? For me and this is my (opinion), so do not hold it against me, that if the pelt has a defined name but just say that this is a "Clear K&M" that is in the "Sunset" family type. I (think) when Peltier produced the (named) box sets called "Sunsets" they may have had absolutely anything in the boxes, trying to keep the theme of the "Sunset" name. It is just a plain generalized category name. My thoughts and opinions.   Chuck G--

Everyone is entitled to publicize their thoughts and opinions and in our democracy, most opinions seemingly carry equal importance.  Amongst marble collectors, names of marbles often have no bearing on the original factory name, which is OK when most collectors agree on a given name for a certain type of marble and that name does not conflict with the same name originally designated to another type of marble.

For example, Akro's aces are called corkscrews, onyx are slags, etc.

Peltier chose the name "Sunset" for their National Line tri-colored  marbles. That is evident from the description of marbles in their price lists, names printed on boxes of marbles (as Galen said and Kevin Plummer showed), in jobber catalogs and probably elsewhere (the "Peltier Documents"?).  These are the Peltier marbles we now call rebel, christmas tree,  liberty, etc. (as Mike said).  The problem with collectors designating the name "sunset" to another type of marble is that it's potentially confusing, especially, for example, to a marble or glass historian researching original documents and artifacts, who may be unfamiliar with collector's names.

Anyone know who started calling these transparent marbles "sunset", and why?

On 8/17/2016 at 8:15 AM, ann said:

But mainly, after waiting so long for a green fizz to come to my house, I ain't callin' it no Sunset.

green fizz 1.jpg

So, what makes a green fizz a green fizz?  I've got two marbles with this colored base (I call it Antifreeze). Neither as bubbly, though both have bubbles. One has orange and white ribbons and the other has yellow ribbons. Try to post some pictures later today.